Don’t have the time to shampoo and rinse your rebellious locks in the shower, then dry shampoo is a good option for you. Just sprinkle or spray the preparation on your hair, wait a few moments for it to absorb the oil and other gunk that sticks to it, and then brush or blot it out. Dry shampoo gives your hair the appearance of being clean, since it absorbs the oil that can make hair look dirty.
How to Use
- Remove hair accessories and comb to remove hair tangles.
- Apply the dry shampoo by sprinkling the dry shampoo powder you chose over the top of your head, especially in the areas that tend to get oily.
- Use your fingers to distribute it. If you are using a spray bottle of dry shampoo, hold it 6 inches from your head and spray. Hold it far enough away so that the shampoo settles evenly over your head.
- Brush your hair so as to distribute the dry shampoo down the length of the hair shafts. Focus mostly on the roots, but if the rest of your hair needs freshening up, add a little more to the tips. Avoid over rubbing the hair.
- Wait 5 to 10 minutes for the dry shampoo to absorb the oil from your hair. If you have oily hair, it may take a little longer. Turn your head upside down and brush out all of the powder. You can even use a hair dryer to help the process along.
Homemade Dry Shampoo Recipe
Combine 1/2 cup cornstarch with 1/2 cup baking soda in a small bowl. Add 3-5 drops of lavender (or other pleasant-smelling) essential oil.
Mix together thoroughly. If there are clumps, break them up with the back of a spoon. Mixture should be completely powdered when you’re done.
Five Products to Choose From
- Oscar Blandi Pronto Invisible Volumizing Dry Shampoo Spray: For that gloriously fake-clean hair, bouncing around for days. No sticky residue, no chalk.
- Umberto Dry Clean Dry Shampoo: It soaks up all the oil (I have pretty oily hair after one day of not washing) and adds volume. You just spay a little bit on the scalp then brush through with your fingers and there you go!
- Suave Professionals Dry Shampoo Spray: This dry shampoo spray, with mineral clay refreshes hair to prevent a greasy feel between washes. Absorbs oil & refreshes between washes.
- Klorane Gentle Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk: Feels and smells great. Highly recommend as a mid-priced dry shampoo. Great for anyone prone to itchiness or sensitive skin.
- Batiste Dry Shampoo Original Clean & Classic: Instantly leaves your hair feeling clean, full of body and smelling beautiful.
Note: It’s fine to use dry shampoo from time to time, but if you leave those ingredients on your scalp several days a week you’re increasing the chances of scalp skin pores becoming blocked and the chemicals being absorbed into your skin.