An avid runner, competing in many marathons and triathlons throughout the year, Tricia Williams, executive chef and founder of Food Matters NYC, has the perfect meal plan that she uses for herself – as well as her clients – to get her through these races.
Whether someone just runs on their own or is participating in an established race or even a tough mudder type event, the proper foods need to be eaten to help them keep their energy up and to perform at their highest potential.
Featuring the right combination of foods to power up, recover, as well as maintain, the following are recommendations Tricia has for any race or training:
- Spaghetti Squash with Grass Fed Meatballs and Marinara
- Zucchini Vegan Lasagna
- Roasted Wild Salmon, Brown Rice or Zucchini Noodles with Miso Almond Kale Pesto
- Steel Cut Oats with Cinnamon, Coconut Oil, Soft Cooked Eggs
- Butternut Squash GF Bagel with Smoked Salmon and Avocado
- Banana Chocolate Tahini Smoothie
- Sesame Chicken with Ginger Scallion Brown Rice and Vegetable Noodle Salad
- Grain Free Quesadilla with Cashew Velveeta, Black Beans, and Grilled Vegetables
- Quinoa Turkey Wrap with Avocado, Chipotle “Mayo”, Lettuce and Pro Biotic Slaw
Homemade Race Fuel (good for anytime/ongoing training)
- Sports Fuel (aka homemade Gatorade): Cherry Extract, Coconut Water, Sea Salt
- Banana Almond Butter Balls
- Homemade Cherry Gummies: Grass Fed Gelatin, Cherry Extract, Maple