- Energy: 207Kcals/866kJ
- Fat, total: 7.9g
- Saturated fat: 2.5g
- Protein: 28.5g
- Carbohydrate: 3.6g
- Sugar, total: 2.4g
- Fibre-NSP: 0g
- Sodium: 8.5g
- Oil 15ml/1 tbsp
- Soy sauce 60ml/ 4 tbsp
- Mirin or medium sherry 30ml/2 tbsp
- Soft light brown sugar 5ml/1tbsp
- Ginger juice 15ml/1 tbsp (see Cook’s tip)
- garlic clove 1, crushed
- Rump steak 500mg/1Ľlb , about 2.5cm/1in thick, in one piece if possible
- Sansho pepper
- Radish 1, peeled
- Wasabi paste 30ml/2 tbsp and fresh coriander sprigs, to garnish
Mix the oil, soy sauce, mirin or sherry, sugar, ginger juice and garlic in a large shallow dish. Add the steak and turn to coat both sides. Leave in a cool place to marinate for at least 4 hours, turning from time to time.
Preheat a grill, ridged cast-iron grill pan or barbecue, and grill the steak for 3-5 minutes on each side. Season with sansho pepper.
To prepare the Japanese-style garnish, grate the mole and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Place a little pile of grated mooli, with 7.5ml/ ˝ tsp of wasabi paste and a coriander sprig on each of four plates.
With a sharp knife, slice the steak into thin diagonal slices and arrange on the plates with the garnish.