Nutritive InformationPer 1 1/4 cup Serving
- Calories: 96 Kcal
- Fat: 7 g
- Carbohydrate: 7 g
- Protein: 4 g
- Fiber: 3 g.
- Head garlic: 1 small
- Extra virgin olive oil: 1/2 tsp. plus 1 Tbsp.
- Baby spinach: 1 lb.
- Salt: 1/4 tsp.
- Reduced-fat sour cream: 1/4 cup
- Freshly grated nutmeg
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Cut off top of garlic head crosswise, exposing tips of cloves. Place garlic in center of square of foil. Drizzle on 1/2 teaspoon of oil and rub to coat garlic. Seal garlic in foil. Bake until garlic yields to gentle squeeze, about 45 minutes. Open foil and set garlic aside.
- In skillet or pot large enough to hold spinach, add 1/2-inch of water and bring to boil. Add spinach, cover tightly, and steam over medium-high heat for 4 minutes, or until spinach is wilted, still bright green and tender.
- Immediately drain in colander. To preserve color, run cold water over spinach until cool. A handful at a time, squeeze out water, and make cigar-shaped rolls. On cutting board, cut spinach rolls crosswise into 3/4-inch slices. Rotate spinach 90 degrees and chop slices coarsely. There will be about 1½ cups chopped spinach.
- Squeeze out roasted garlic cloves onto cutting board. Sprinkle with salt. Alternate chopping and smearing garlic using side of large knife to turn garlic into paste, about 2 minutes.
In medium skillet over medium-high heat, warm remaining oil. Add spinach, using wooden spoon to break up clumps and heat until warmed. Add garlic paste and mix to combine. Take skillet off heat and mix in sour cream. Season to taste with nutmeg, salt and pepper. Serve warm.