Pneumonia or inflammation of the lungs is mostly caused by bacterial, viral, fungal or parasitical infection and sometimes by inhalation of toxic gases, chemicals and unhealthy eating habits. Commonly found in children below 5 yrs of age and seniors.
Symptoms of Pneumonia
- Cough (with some pneumonias you may cough up greenish or yellow mucus, or even bloody mucus)
- Fever, which may be mild or high
- Shaking chills
- Shortness of breath, which may only occur when you climb stairs
Additional symptoms include:
- Sharp or stabbing chest pain that gets worse when you breathe deeply or cough
- Excessive sweating and clammy skin
- Loss of appetite, low energy, and fatigue
- Confusion, especially in older people
Symptoms also can vary, depending on whether your pneumonia is bacterial or viral.
- In bacterial pneumonia, your temperature may rise as high as 105 degrees F. This pneumonia causes profuse sweating, and rapidly increased breathing and pulse rate. Lips and nailbeds may have a bluish color due to lack of oxygen in the blood. A patient’s mental state may be confused or delirious.
- The initial symptoms of viral pneumonia are the same as influenza symptoms: fever, a dry cough, headache, muscle pain, and weakness. Within 12 to 36 hours, there is increasing breathlessness; the cough becomes worse and produces a small amount of mucus. There is a high fever and there may be blueness of the lips.
- source: http://www.lung.org/
Herbal Options for Pneumonia
The disease can prove fatal if timely treatment is not given to the patient. Natural herbal remedies for pneumonia can only provide relief from the symptoms of pneumonia by strengthening immunity and facilitating faster recovery. Proper treatment provided by physician is a must for treating pneumonia.
- Pleurisy Root (Asclepias tuberosa): It helps reduce inflammation of the pleural membranes in the lungs, enhances secretion of healthful lung fluids, and is really a lymphatic system stimulant. Pleurisy root has been utilized to take care of many different illnesses, including pleurisy, pneumonia,, bronchitis, influenza and chronic coughing. Note that excessive intake of pleurisy root herb can lead to nausea, vomiting, stomach pain and irregular heart beat. People with heart problems should not take pleurisy root. Pregnant women and breast feeding mothers should also avoid having this herb.
- Sea buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides): The plant’s orange fruit and the oil from its pulp and seeds have been used traditionally for lung conditions, including coughing and phlegm reduction. Human study supports the use of sea buckthorn in pneumonia, although more clinical research is necessary. According to the Chinese Pharmacopeia, internal use of sea buckthorn is recommended as a pain reliever, cough suppressant, expectorant, digestive tonic, and blood flow promoter. Avoid if allergic or hypersensitive to sea buckthorn, its constituents, or members of the Elaeagnaceae family. Use cautiously in patients with cancer, high blood pressure, or bleeding disorders. Avoid doses higher than those found in foods if pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Holy Basil or Tulsi leaves: The essential oil extracted from the Tulsi leaves is very powerful in providing remedy for pneumonia. This oil is very effective when it is in a pure form without any adulteration. Apply this holy basil oil on the chest of the affected person to get good relief. Yet another natural treatment is eating the raw Tulsi leaves or take 5-6 Tulsi leaves and extract the juice from it. Add little pepper powder to it. Take this herbal tonic once in six hours. If you continue these two treatments together, you will experience the real magic. Basil leaves help produce enough heat in the body and makes the person to sweat, with which the cold inside your body gets evaporated.
- Fenugreek Seeds: The bitter herb has excellent mucolytic properties. Mucolytic agents can dissolve thick mucus in order to help relieve respiratory difficulties. It also promotes perspiration which helps in reducing fever and detoxifyingg body. Tea prepared by boiling a tea spoon of fenugreek seeds in 500 ml of water is beneficial for treatment of pneumonia.
- Turpentine Oil: Massage chest and ribcage with turpentine oil and keep the chest covered with blanket thereafter for a few hours to get relief from chest pain and discomfort. Turpentine Oil is recommended home remedy for pneumonia.
Other home remedies found effective in cure of pneumonia include ginger, garlic turmeric, pine, cinnamon, cloves oil, peppermint, lavender & rosemary.