Recovering from an eating disorder, can take years before one is able to live a happy and healthy life without occasionally slipping into old ways of thinking. Relapses or slip on can be a part of the recovery process, what is important is – to gain control, and get back on the wagon and drive-thru.
The key to preventing a relapse lies in identifying the warning signs and take prevent measures.
Recovery takes a long, long time to reach and it involves dealing with a lot of painful issues that can leave you susceptible to relapsing into old “comforts” like starving or purging..
In the event that you feel that you may be in a situation where you have fallen back to eating disorder behaviour, there are some things to remember:
- Seek professional help immediately.
- Relapse does not mean failure.
- You have been through this before and you can get through it again.
- Be kind to yourself and give yourself time to recover.
- Refer often to your values and strive to live by them.
- Work on self-approval, which is not dependent on weight.
- Accept your personal limitations.
- Create an environment of respect, optimism, trust and honesty with yourself and others.
- Know that “failure” neither dooms nor defines you. You are just a person who is willing to take on challenges.
- Practice, practice, practice!
Always remember, Healthy eating is much more important and is actually the key to maintaining and keeping a healthy weight.