A new study shows that eating breakfast every single day is a key behavior among people who average a 60-pound weight loss and have kept it off for six years. The study in the Journal of Obesity Research was an ongoing look at successful maintainers of significant weight loss.
Nearly 80 per cent of them eat breakfast everyday as part of their routine to stay slender. Cereal was their favorite choice. Nutritionists suggest starting the day with whole grains such as oat meal or brown rice which are low on the glycemic index. These satisfying foods do not cause a sudden rise in blood glucose. Instead, they tend to hold off hunger for several hours because they are absorbed slowly into the bloodstream.
Breakfast can make or break a diet, because breakfast helps set the tone for the rest of the day. If you’re one of those people who thinks skipping breakfast is a good way to lose weight, think again. Here are the top reasons why you should definitely eat breakfast every day:
Buy cereals that have minimal sugar such as regular Cheerios, not honey nut or other sweetened versions; corn flakes, not frosted flakes; shredded wheat minis, not frosted and sugared; and look into some of the newer, healthier cereals like Kashi (the unsweetened kind). Then let your taste buds rule. Add your own sugar. I guarantee what you or your kids add will be a fraction of what the cereal guys add — sometimes up to eight or nine equivalent teaspoons per one-cup serving.
- Eat cereals that are low in sugar. Cereal with milk is a great breakfast. It really is a good all-around meal. Remember – low or no sugar is what you want.
- Eat eggs, they are good for breakfast. Eat eggs, but eat them in moderation, of course.
- Try a new egg sandwich. You can put cheese or ham on yours. Use your imagination, these are really fun to make. Be creative.
- Eat pancakes. Yes, they are great from time to time. Try to get yourself one of those griddles that you don’t need to add fat too. That way you’ll be able to eat these pancakes more often. To cut down on calories (and that’s what you want), instead of using butter and syrup, put fresh fruit on yours.
- Eat old-fashioned toast. Toast is still a great thing to eat. Just make sure you don’t load it up with too much butter or similar things.
- Eat oatmeal. Add some milk if you want and a bit of sugar and you have a breakfast that will stick to your ribs!
- Drink juice when you have breakfast! Trust me, you don’t need coffee in the morning; you can get morning energy by just drinking juice. And you don’t have to worry about getting the shakes if you drink too much of this juice.
Fruit salads can be great for breakfast. Just throw your favorite fruits together and call it a meal! There you go. Enjoy it, and make sure you show your friends this wonderful meal.