First Ever Liquid Lunch with 294 calories
Food scientist Dr Rachel Edwards-Stuart and bookmakers William Hill have
created the first ever liquid Christmas lunch – containing just 294 calories –
for riders in the William Hill Winter Festival at Kempton Park this weekend.
Dr Rachel Edwards-Stuart created the 294-calorie dish, which comprises:
Carrot fluid gel
Dehydrated Brussels sprouts
Potato infused foam
A pancetta crisp topping
The drink is a balanced, high
carbohydrate, low glycemic load meal which provides all the
nutrition needed for a jockey to remain light, yet full of
energy and sharply focused before a big race.
No doubt, Christmas is a time when we all let ourselves go and enjoy all the
different foods on offer but the top jockeys can't do that.
'Typically jockeys trying to make weight will eat a restricted calorie diet in
the run up to a big race, so the traditional Christmas lunch was most definitely
off the menu for those racing at the William Hill Winter Festival.
Amazingly, jockeys manage to stay
fit and healthy on less than 1,000 calories per day.
Hayley Turner is one of the most successful female jockey riding in Britain.
She was the first lady jockey to ride more than 100 winners in a season. Her
lowest riding weight during the past 12 months was 8st 1lb.
Hayley says of her Chicken & Vegetable Risotto: “I usually add a measure of
white wine and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese to serve. It adds a few more
calories – but not too many!”
Chicken and Vegetable Risotto (Serves 4 - 300 calories per
- 1 tbsp of vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 200g of uncooked long-grain rice
- 100g mushrooms, sliced
- 100g of broccoli, broken into florets
- 1 small red pepper, diced
- 1 small courgette sliced
- 200g of chicken, dicedd
- 1 chicken stock cube made up to 500ml with boiling water
- Heat oil in a deep saucepan, add the onion and garlic, cook until
- Add the rice and cook over a low heat, stirring continuously until
the rice is yellow and shiny.
- Add a third of the stock to the rice, bring to the boil and cover
- When all the liquid is absorbed gradually stir in the remaining stock
- Cover the pan again and simmer for 15 minutes
- Meanwhile cook broccoli florets for two minutes
- Gently fry the pepper for a few minutes in a little oil, add
courgettes and mushrooms and cook until soft.
- Gently fold the chicken and vegetables into cooked rice
- Heat well through and serve.
This dish will freeze well. Make double portions and freeze for another
day when time is short. Defrost and re-heat thoroughly in microwave.
Diet Tips for a Jockey while Eating Out
Choose foods that are not fried
Ask for grilled or dry roasted meat and fish
Choose tomato-based sauces rather than creamy ones
Eat plenty of
salad, vegetables and fruit
Say no to butter and salad dressings
Drink plenty of water
Opt for better ways of approaching body weight reduction.
Dated 24 December 2014