- Stand upright with a dumbbell in each hand. Your arms should be fully extended at your sides, your palms facing in.
- Step forward with your left foot about one foot. Step directly back with your right foots about six inches.
- With your upper body remaining straight and leaning slightly forward, slowly lower yourself down until your left leg is bent at a 90 degree angle, so you can still sec your toes if you look down at them.
- Your right leg should also be bent at a 90 degree angle, with your lower leg (shin) parallel to the floor. The heel of your trailing foot (right foot) will rise, but your foot should remain in the same position.
- Stand up as far as possible with your feet still in the same position.
- Once your have completed a set, switch legs and repeat.
- Don't let your front knee move farther forward than your toes. If this occurs it means your front foot is not placed far enough in front of you're body-move your front foot and inch or two farther forward.
- Be sure to wear a weightlifting belt on this exercise for back support.