Chocolate Beetroot Cake
- 1 medium beetroot
- 1 cup beetroot liquid
- 1 banana
- 1 cup coconut cream OR heavy cream
- 1 cup Almond meal
- 1 cup gluten free self-rising flour OR self-rising flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa
- 1 cup coconut sugar OR sugar
- 1/3 cup of coconut butter OR melted butter OR oil
- 200 g dark chocolate
- 1 cup of coconut cream OR heavy cream
- Coconut flakes toast lightly
- Preheat oven to 350° Fahrenheit (175° Celsius)
- Prepare 9×9 inches (23 x 23 cm) baking dish with non-stick spray
- Peel & quarter beetroot, boil until soft
- Keep a cup of the liquid from the pot used to boil the beets
- Combine all wet ingredients (beet root, banana, melted butter OR oil, cream) with ½ cup of sugar; blend until smooth. Batter with will be thick.
- Then combine the dry ingredients by sifting flour and combining with cocoa, almond meal, and the remaining ½ cup of sugar. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, mix until well combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared baking dish, place in oven for 35 minutes
- Let cake cool completely before removing pan to avoid breaking
For chocolate ganache
- Melt dark chocolate with coconut cream
- Allow mixture to cool before pouring on top of cake
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes or toasted almonds
Credit: Women’s Tennis Associations (WTA) Sport Sciences and Medicine team, approved by WTA Medical Advisor, Susie Parker-Simmons, RD
Sweet Potato Beet Buddha Bowl With Pistachio Pesto
Sweet Potatoes and Beets:
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2 medium beets, chopped
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary, minced (or sub 1 tbsp + 1 tsp dried rosemary, crushed)
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, minced (or sub 1 tbsp + 1 tsp dried thyme)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- sea salt and pepper to taste
- 2-3 stems kale, destemmed and chopped
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- three-finger pinch sea salt
- 1 16oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- sea salt and pepper to taste
Oil-Free Pistachio Pesto:
- 1 cup fresh basil, packed
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup pistachios, shelled
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place the chopped beets and sweet potatoes in a large bowl. Add in 2 tsp olive oil, herbs, and salt/pepper to taste. Mix until well combined.*
- Line two baking pans, each with a piece of parchment paper. Add half the mixture to one pan and half to the other. Place in oven and roast for 35 minutes, flipping halfway.**
- As the veggies roast, prepare the pesto by adding all ingredients to a food processor or blender. Process (or blend) until most large chunks are dissolved (nut-based pesto sauces are chunkier than the original, so small chunks are fine). Once processed, store in fridge until the veggies are ready.
- Add chopped kale to a medium sized bowl. Coat with 1 tsp olive oil, 1 tsp lemon juice, and a three-finger pinch of sea salt. Massage the kale for 30s to soften and mix evenly with seasonins. Store in fridge until you construct your bowl.
- Once the veggies are done, create your bowl by adding in sweet potatoes and beets, black beans, kale, and top with a generous serving of pistachio pesto. Enjoy!
* If you prefer to bake sweet potatoes and beets separately, simply divide the olive oil and seasonings in half, and mix in separate bowls.
**If you only have one baking pan available, you can still make this recipe work. Although you may need to bake slightly longer.
Credit: Scotty, Founder of plantbasedscotty.com