Mineral makeup products are made of all natural, finely ground minerals from the earth, without any of the chemicals, dyes, and preservatives found in traditional makeup. Mineral makeup is virtually exploding today’s beauty market. Many dermatologists report that because mineral makeup frequently eliminates classic “irritants” – like fragrances, binders, synthetic dyes, and preservatives — it is considered “purer” and can be kinder to the skin.
One of the factors that makes mineral makeup so popular is the smooth, natural, long-lasting coverage — a feat that’s some companies accomplish by pulverizing or “micronizing” their minerals into microscopic or even nano-particle size.
Mineral makeup comes in a variety of forms – and at prices ranging from less than $10 to more than $50 per product. These are light, finely ground loose minerals that are buffed into the skin using a wide, fluffy brush.
Benefit of Mineral Makeup :
- Mineral Make up gives a lightweight natural feel that allows your skin to breathe, unlike talc-based products that can clog pores and damage skin.
- The benefits versus traditional petroleum-based products are numerous. One very important point is, mineral makeup is free from preservatives such as talc, synthetic chemicals and other filler type ingredients that you find in many mainstream makeup products. Instead, mineral cosmetics utilize minerals such titanium dioxide and mica powder.
- Mineral cosmetics achieve their color by using pure iron oxides, which absorb heat. Mineral makeup also contains zinc oxide and together, these ingredients can offer you protection from the sun and from the effects of aging. It is common for dermatologists to recommend mineral makeup to patients who suffer from acne or rosacea, or those whose skin is sensitive to sunlight following surgery or chemical peels.
- Mineral makeup doesn’t support the growth of bacteria, and therefore mineral cosmetics are less likely to become contaminated than other makeup types.
- Mineral makeup has advantages above and beyond its health benefits. Rather than just cover up flaws or blemishes, the trend of modern makeup is to highlight the natural, vital and real beauty of self. Since mineral makeup gives excellent coverage, the result when using mineral cosmetics is flawless, real skin. Mineral Makeup also contains special light reflective minerals, which work wonderfully well to reduce the appearance of aging.
- It never cakes or creases and if you chose the right colors you won’t have that makeup line around the edges and between your face and neck.
Using Mineral Makeup :
Mineral Make-up products should be used very sparingly. They are extremely intense and only require a small amount of product. Using the residue from the cap or lid will be plenty to start. If this is your first time using a mineral makeup, have patience. You will know if you have over applied if the powder is sitting in your fine facial lines, or if your face looks cakey. You will know if you have applied the powder too soon after your moisturizer if you have a streaky appearance or again, if it’s too cakey.
By altering your application technique you can completely change the look and feel of mineral make up to suit you. Mineral makeup offers a choice from the traditional makeup and it can be very good for women who like to wear a light natural looking makeup. It is a matter of choice and worth trying it.
They are usually available in starter sets which commonly contain one or two base colors you choose depending on your natural skin tone. Example, if you are very fair, you will get one or two light shades. If you are like most women you’ll probably choose medium and will receive one or two different medium shades or if you are tanned or are a woman of color you will receive one or two deeper shades. The two color kits are great because you can can mix and match the bases for a customized color to perfectly match your natural skin tone. Then you will receive a finishing powder which is neutral and helps give you that soft defused air brushed look while setting your makeup for the day. Finally you will probably receive a blush or bronzer-like cheek color and a brush or two for applying the minerals to your skin. The brushes are usually luxuriously full and made of natural soft fibers. They feel wonderful against your skin.
Most brands offer larger kits that also contain eye shadows, several blushers, shimmering face and eye products for evening, lipsticks and more, or you can purchase these separately as you desire.
Most brands have sample sizes you can buy to try, just make sure you realize that sample sizes are small, just enough to try for a few days or even a bit longer considering that less is more with mineral makeup since it is highly pigmented.
It is easy to remove with cleanser or mild soap and water, what ever you use, and most product lines even carry very nice accessory products like cleansers, moisturizers, lipsticks, mascaras and more.
Note: Women with sensitive skin beware. While the best mineral products have no dyes or fragrances (common irritants), some products do contain bismuth oxychloride, which can irritate skin.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.