Nouria Newman is a French slalom canoeist who has competed since the late 2000s. She won two medals at the ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships with a gold in 2014 (K-1 team) and a silver in 2013 (K-1). She also won a bronze medal in the K-1 team event at the 2014 European Championships in Vienna.
French kayaker Nouria Newman had one of her two successful runs through Site Zed, the largest signature rapid on the Grand Canyon of the Stikine. Though Newman ran the rapid on back-to-back descents of the 45-mile canyon gauntlet, her first run of Site Zed during a one-day descent marks the first time that a woman has kayaked the entire canyon without portage, one decade after New Zealand’s Nikki Kelly became the first female to kayak the storied section of whitewater regarded as one of expedition paddling’s
Newman, at 23, has already made her mark in slalom (finished 2013 ranked 14th in the world in women’s K-1) as well as in downriver creek racing and finished 2013 as reigning Whitewater Grand Prix champion, Adidas Sickline Extreme Kayak World Championship winner, and recipient of the Canoe & Kayak Awards’ Female Paddler of the Year award. Now she can add her name to the list of expedition kayaking greats.
“When you commit to it there’s no way you can turn back,” Newman says of Site Zed after describing all the elements coming together on the recent one-day descent with Jules Domine and Mountain Mind Collective’s Brendan and Todd Wells. “All the conditions were there for me to run it and I felt really good about it.”
Achievements of Nouria Newman
- Gold Medal in ICF Canoe Slalom World Championships 2014 (K-1 team)
- 1st Place: Ottawa XL – Freestyle Ottawa, Canada 2013
- Extreme Kayaking World Champion Oetz, Austria 2013
- Female Paddler of the Year Award as voted by Canoe & Kayak magazine 2013
- Slalom: 2nd World Championships Individual Senior Prague, Czech Republic 2013
- Slalom: 2nd European Championships least 23 individual Bourg-Saint-Maurice, France 2013
- Freestyle: Vainqueure of Ottawa XL Canada 2013
- Extreme Kayaking: Whitewater Grand Prix Vainqueure Chile 2012
- Freestyle: Rider of the Year Award (Best Trick Women) 2012
- Best trick women 2012
- 1st Place: Whitewater Grand Prix Chile 2012
- 1st Place: Voss Extreme Week Norway 2012
- Four-time French National Champion – Slalom 2006, 2007, 2008 and 2009
- Freestyle: Junior World Champion Thun, Switzerland 2009
Nouria Newman is an exceptionally talented french slalom canoeist. She is winner of gold medal at ICF Canoe Slalom World Championship in 2014 (K-1 team). She is in conversation with Namita Nayyar President Women Fitness.
All content on this site is copyright of Women Fitness and no part of any article found on this site may be reproduced without an express permission and highlighted, do follow link crediting http://www.womenfitness.net/ or preferably the original page as the source. This interview is exclusive and taken by Namita Nayyar President womenfitness.net and should not be reproduced, copied or hosted in part or full anywhere without an express permission.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.