Warning: Use of undefined constant wf_video - assumed 'wf_video' (this will throw an Error in a future version of PHP) in /home/womenfitness/public_html/wp/wp-content/themes/magazine-pro/single-recipes.php on line 46
- 155 calories
- 1 g total fat (0 g saturated fat)
- 33 g carbohydrate
- 6 g protein
- 7 g fiber
- 197 mg sodium.
- 6 cups water
- 1 (14.5-oz) can diced tomatoes, with liquid, reduced sodium
- 2 cubes vegetable bullion, reduced sodium
- 1/2 cup green lentils, uncooked
- 1/2 cup barley, uncooked
- 1 medium onion (red, yellow, or white)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced (purple, yellow, or orange)
- 2 small summer squash (i.e., zucchini, scalloped, yellow crookneck), sliced
- 4 small, thin-skinned potatoes, diced (i.e., Yukon gold or red potatoes)
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp. dried mustard
- 6 slices whole grain bread
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh herbs (i.e., sage, parsley, basil, oregano, chives, marjoram)
- Sea salt (optional)
- In large pot, add water, tomatoes, and vegetable bouillon and stir together.
- Add lentils, barley, onion, garlic, celery, carrots, squash, potatoes, mushrooms, black pepper, paprika, thyme, oregano, and mustard. Stir well and cover with a tight fitting lid. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium and cook for about 1 hour, until barley and lentils are tender, stirring occasionally. Replace any water lost to evaporation (should make a thick, hearty texture).
- Toast whole grain bread in the oven or toaster until brown and very crisp. Slice into small cubes.
- Add lemon juice and fresh herbs to the soup, and season with a small amount of salt (if desired).
- Ladle hot soup into soup bowls and garnish with whole grain croutons (1/2 slice of toast per serving). Refrigerate leftover soup and reheat as desired (add croutons just before serving to maintain crisp texture).