Tina Maze is a World Cup alpine ski racer and a two-time Olympic gold medalist from Slovenia. She is the most successful female ski racer in Slovenian history with a career that culminated with two gold medals at the 2014 Winter Olympics. In Slovenia, she was awarded the title of the best female athlete of the year for 2005, 2010, 2011 and 2013, and her four Olympic medals tie her with rower Iztok Čop as the most successful athlete representing Slovenia at the Olympics.
Maze started her career as a giant slalom specialist, but later competed in all five alpine skiing disciplines. She is one of just six women who have won in all five World Cup disciplines and one of three to do it in a single season. Currently, Maze is the reigning world champion in super-G and Olympic champion in downhill and giant slalom. She was also the world champion in giant slalom in 2011.
Through March 2014, Maze has won 23 World Cup races, and won the World Cup overall title in 2013. In that season, she had 11 event victories and tallied a record number of World Cup points – 2414, beating the previous record of Hermann Maier of 2000 points from the 2000 season. She also won the super-G and giant slalom titles, and finished first in the combined event and finished second in slalom and downhill. Maze also improved previous Maier’s record of podium finishes in a single season (22) with 24 podiums.
She was nominated for the 2014 Laureus World Sports Award for Sportswoman of the Year, which was awarded on 26 March 2014 at gala event in Kuala Lumpur.
Race victories of Tina Maze
23 wins – (3 downhill, 1 super-G, 13 giant slalom, 3 slalom, 3 super combined)
68 podiums – (9 DH, 12 SG, 26 GS, 14 SL, 5 SC, 2 parallel)
Achievements of Tina Maze
- 1st FIS Alpine World Ski Championships 2011 in Giant slalom category
- 1st FIS Alpine World Ski Championships 2013 in Super-G category
- 1st Winter Olympics Alpine skiing 2014 in Giant slalom category
- 1st Winter Olympics Alpine skiing 2014 in Downhill category
- 2005, 2010, 2011 and 2013 Slovenian Sportswoman of the Year by Slovene sports journalists association
- 2013 Serge Lang Trophy won Skier of the Year by International Association of Ski Journalists
- 2nd at World Athlete of the Year 2013 by Chicago Tribune’s 27th annual international sports award
- 2013 European Athlete of the Year by European Press Agencies led by PAP
- 2nd at IPS European Athlete of the Year – 2013 Sportswoman of the Year International Sports Press Association
- Nominated for Laureus World Sports Award for Sportswoman of the Year by World Media
All content on this site is copyright of Women Finess and no part of any article found on this site may be reproduced without an express permission and highlighted, do follow link crediting http://www.womenfitness.net/ or preferably the original page as the source. This interview is exclusive and taken by Namita Nayyar President womenfitness.net and should not be reproduced, copied or hosted in part or full anywhere without an express permission.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.