By Executive Chef Michael C. Brown of Jalisco Cantina and Barrel Republic
- 2 cups roasted garnet yams, peeled and smashed
- 1 ½ cup tomatoes, diced
- ¾ cup white onion, diced and rinsed
- 2 to 3 jalapenos, minced
- ½ cup fresh lime juice
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- Sea salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients and adjust seasoning.
- Serving suggestions: with chips, yam’amole tostada, on top of carne asada fries or finish off your veggie burger.
6. MIXT Sunrise Salad
- 8 oz organic butter lettuce
- 4 oz organic mixed baby lettuce
- 2- 3 sunchokes
- 1 small butternut squash
- 2 oz radishes
- 2 oz sunflower seeds
- 3 tbsp basil and mint leaves
- 1 tbsp furikake (a dry Japanese seasoning featuring sesameseeds and seaweed you can find at a specialty grocer)
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper
- ¼ cup autumn-spiced vinaigrette (see recipe below)
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly rinse raw sunchokes to remove any debris. Dicesunchokes into ¼ inch pieces and toss with half of the olive oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet and set aside. Peel and cut open butternutsquash. Remove seeds and cut into ¼ inch pieces. Toss with other half of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste. Place on another parchment-lined cookie sheet.
- Bake sunchokesand butternut squash for 15-20 mins in preheated oven until fork tender. During the last 4 minutes of roasting vegetables, place raw sunflower seeds on a small baking sheet and toast.Set aside and allow roasted ingredients to cool to room temperature.
- While other ingredients are roasting, wash and thoroughly dry lettuce. Tear butterlettuce into ¼ inch pieces. Thinly slice the radishes into coin shapes, tear washed and
MIXT Autumn Spiced Vinaigrette
(makes approximately 16 ounces )
- 2 cups extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice
- ¼ cup champagne vinegar
- 1 tbsp shallots, chopped
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- ¼ tsp ground cardamom
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- pinch dried chili flakes (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a blender and pulse for one minute. Remove from blender andplace in a lidded container or jar. Shake before serving. Store remaining vinaigrette inrefrigerator for use up to one week.