7. Cabernet Cranberries
By Jim Mumford, Jimcooksfoodgood.com
- 12oz Fresh Cranberries
- 6oz Frozen Blueberries
- 2oz Frozen Blackberries and/or Raspberries
- 1 ½ cups Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 ½ cups Sugar
- 1 tsp Ground Clove
- 1 tbs Ground Cinnamon
- Combine all ingredients in a large sauce pot.
- Bring the ingredients to a boil. Watch the pot closely during this step! The sauce will boil quickly. Reduce the heat immediately to keep it from boiling over.
- Simmer for 20-30 minutes. The sauce will reduce slightly and thicken.
- Remove from heat. The sauce will continue to thicken as it cools.
8. Wild Mushroom & Kale Stuffing
By Jenni Kayne
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1¼ cup buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh corn or frozen organic corn
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- Salt & black pepper
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- 3 pounds oyster mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 bunches lacinato kale, stemmed & torn
- 8 cups cornbread, cubed
- 1 Tablespoon dried sage, chopped
To prepare the cornbread: Preheat oven to 375° F. Grease a 9-by 13-inch baking dish and set aside.. In a medium mix bowl, stir together the cornmeal, gluten-free flour, baking soda, and salt. In a separate large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar. Add the extra-virgin olive oil and buttermilk and stir to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir together until just combined. Fold in the corn and transfer to the prepared baking dish. Bake for 23-25minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool, then cut into 1-inch cubes and spread out on a baking sheet. Let sit out, uncovered, for 1-2 days to dry.
To prepare the stuffing: In a mixing bowl, combine eggs, vegetable stock, and lemon zest. Set aside. Heat the olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and a large pinch of salt, and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until the onions are soft and translucent. Add the shallots, garlic, thy me, bay leaf and another pinch of salt and a pinch of pepper. Stir to combine and sauté for 2-3 minutes, until shallots and garlic soften. Add white wine and increase the heat. When the liquid has reduced by half, add the mushrooms, a generous pinch of salt, and stir to combine. Sauté the mushrooms for 5-6 minutes, until they just begin to soften. Add the apple cider vinegar, sauté for 1 minute, and then add kale. Sauté for 2 minutes until kale begins to wilt, taste for seasoning, then remove from heat. Transfer the mushroom mixture to a large mixing bowl, add the cornbread, sage, and egg mixture. Mix to combine and transfer to the prepared baking dish.
To bake stuffing: Preheat oven to 325° F. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes. Remove foil and bake for another 10-15 minutes, until cornbread turns golden brown.