Weight loss doesn’t depend on whether calories come from carbohydrates, protein or fat. To lose a pound, you must create a 3,500-calorie deficit by consuming fewer calories, burning more calories through physical activity, or a combination of both.
The upward trend in the number of overweight women is caused, on average, by an imbalance of only 100 extra calories per day. Eliminating this 100-calorie imbalance by eating a bit less and getting a bit more physical activity each day may hold the line on weight gain for many women. This can be accomplished in an almost unlimited number of ways. Below are several ideas on how YOU can start to trim and burn about 100 calories a day.
Five ways to trim 100 calories from food
- Swap an 8-ounce regular soft drink for a diet soft drink.
- Drink 2 cups of fat-free milk instead of 2 cups of whole milk.
- Use 1 teaspoon of mustard or ketchup or 1 tablespoon of fat-free mayonnaise in place of 1 tablespoon of regular mayonnaise.
- Split a small bag of French fries with a friend.
- Slice a typical piece of apple pie about one-third smaller.
|High fat Snack-FatContent per 100 gm||Low Fat Snack-FatContent per 100 gm|
|Almonds 55.8Cheese 34.4Chocolate biscuits 27.6Waffers 37.6Milk chocolate 30.6Peanuts 46.1||Apple 0.1Banana 0.3Carrots 0.5Cottage cheese 3.9Crisp bread 2.1Oranges 0.1Yogurt – plain 3.0|
Fifteen ways to burn 100 calories through physical activity
- Pedal an exercise bike for 13 minutes.
- Hiking up hills for 15 minutes.
- Cleaning the garage for 15 minutes.
- Practice some fast dance steps for 16 minutes.
- Work in the garden for 18 minutes.
- Swimming leisurely for 20 minutes.
- Playing tag with the grandkids for 20 minutes.
- Mowing the lawn (using motorized mower) for 20 minutes.
- Walk briskly for 22 minutes (3.5 mph).
- Clean the house for 25 minutes.
- Golfing (using a cart) for 30 minutes.
- Yoga for 30 minutes.
- Fishing (from a riverbank) for 30 minutes.
- Walking the dog for 50 minutes
- Putting away the groceries & Light housekeeping for 40 minutes.
Five food and foot power combos to cut 100 calories
- Eat five fewer potato chips and walk for 6 minutes.
- Eat one-quarter cup less of spaghetti with tomato sauce and walk for 11 minutes.
- Top toast with 2 teaspoons of apple butter instead of 2 teaspoons of butter and walk for 11 minutes.
- Spoon out 3 tablespoons less of mashed potatoes and walk for 13 minutes.
- Skip 2 half & half coffee creamers in coffee and walk for 15 minutes.
Watching your calorie intake and burning off calories will help you get rid of body fat and prevent undesired gain in weight. Plus, it’s easy to work off 100 calories by doing simple everyday tasks and keeping a watch on your diet. Follow this strategy and see how fast you can get rid of 100 calories.