HELLO JUNE!!! Yes, that’s right…I can’t believe it’s June and summer is actually here! June 21st, 2018 marks a very special day- 1) It’s my BIRTHDAY! 2) It’s International Yoga Day! #BirthdayYoga 😉
yo·ga | noun: yoga
A Hindu spiritual and ascetic discipline, a part of which, including breath control, simple meditation, and the adoption of specific bodily postures, is widely practiced for health and relaxation.
Yoga is essentially food for your mind, body, and soul. I have practiced yoga for several years now, and truly believe in its many health benefits both mentally and physically. In addition, I adopt many yoga principles into my dance training when teaching my students and find them to be highly effective especially when working on balance, control, flexibility, and breathing techniques. Do you practice yoga in your daily or weekly routine? If so, you may want to look into ways to help spread the #yogalove this month! If you have not yet joined the many wonders of yoga and you find yourself intrigued, this month is the perfect time for you to try something new and embark on your own yoga journey!
International Yoga Day celebrates yoga, an ancient physical, mental, and spiritual practice. Yoga originated in India many moons ago, and today, it is celebrated all over the world as one of the most popular past time activities. The very first International Yoga Day was celebrated worldwide on June 21st, 2015 and has become an annual celebration with the hope of attributing yoga to physical well-being and world peace and development. For more information and insight to International Yoga Day, check out www.un.org
Sooo… what can you do to enjoy yoga this month???
Here are a few ideas:
- Create some valuable time for self-reflection, meditation, rest, and relaxation. This will boost calming benefits, self-awareness, and aid in stress relief.
- Stretch and/or practice yoga at home or a nice place outside.
- Check out your local yoga studios, gyms, and other outlets such as Groupon, Living Social, etc. for possible discounts on yoga training, classes, and activities/events.
- If you are feeling really adventurous and would like to take your yoga experience to another level, look into going on a yoga retreat! There are so many options out there ranging from opportunities near and far, and short-longer durations of time. I love this idea, but have never signed up for a yoga retreat. I plan to make this a birthday gift to myself! 😉
- I will be sharing various yoga highlights all month on my Insta! I would love to hear from you too!!! Be sure to follow me on Instagram @taryntfrancis and say hello!
I hope this article has inspired you! Be sure to stay tuned for more monthly columns from me as I share my world of dance, fitness, wellness, and healthy lifestyle tips. Namaste
Taryn T. Francis
IG and FB: @TarynTFrancis