To perform your best you need to fuel your body well too, what according to you should comprise a healthy breakfast meal for an athlete? Also, what snacks do you recommend for post training nutrition?
I’m pretty spoiled when it comes to good food since I’m living with a boyfriend who loves to cook and is also an athlete. This makes it so much easier to eat healthy. It has never been a difficult thing, it’s just normal for us to eat healthy and good food. We are never on a diet, but of course we think twice before championships. We eat clean food. That’s our secret. To make everything from scratch so we know what it contains. I recommend Skyr (a type of yogurt) and oatmeal in the morning, then I personally love mackerel in tomato sauce and egg for lunch. And I’m also a fish person so shrimps and salmon I can’t live without. We make our own bread so the quality is pretty good and has a lot of fiber. Before training, I eat varied since it depends when the training is held. Before I had kids I always ate two hours before, but now it’s not easy to plan it so well. So I’m more beware that I have been eating and won’t get empty during my training session and that I will be eating fast and good after training.
Your biggest pole vault inspiration?
It used to be Jelena Isinbajeva, since I had the pleasure to train with her a lot in Ukraine and Italy. But now it’s definitely the new generation and the world leading girl from the US, Sandi Morris. I don’t know her personally since she popped up when I got pregnant the first time. But I fancy her a lot because of her attitude and personality which she shows through Instagram. I feel that she is my twin sister in some ways, ha ha even if that seems weird to say. But I see myself in her. She also has a long jumper as her boyfriend who my boyfriend knows a bit so I found this quite funny. She started to follow my Instagram account one day and I actually become a little bit proud 😉 haha…
As a personal trainer, share with us 5 tips that you would provide to a client who is 40, overweight & wishes to lose weight and gain muscle.
- Nutrition. It’s important, so even if I don’t have the possibility to watch over them I would give them a pep talk on how to change small things in life.
- HIT training / high intensity training. No matter if your goal is fat loss, muscle gain or an athletic performance this type of training can help you nail it.
- Interval training (also High-intensity interval training). This is essential. This is cardio, which could be all from treadmill sprints, stairmaster, jumping rope, cycle sprint etc. Short but effective training.
- Core exercises and stability. Having a strong core is also essential for lifting and using your body properly. So I always have a lot of focus on the small muscles to make the client strong and prepared for bigger lifts and new body challenges.
- CrossFit: Challenging with some CrossFit exercise, since it’s so important to be able to challenge your body and achieve a good self-control. Most people find motivation in managing things that they never thought they could do. I love putting up fun tests to make them achieve this positivity.
5 Favorite exercises that are a must in a pregnancy workout routine. How far are Kegel exercises beneficial?
I now wish I did it even more, so don’t underestimate kegel exercises. My “mistake” was that I started training 2 weeks after I gave birth. Felt so good and normal, so didn’t find this wrong at that moment. But time showed me that I should have done more kegel exercises and that my pelvic floor wasn’t quite ready. Since I couldn’t do any jumps without running for the toilet first. This has now become better 😉 So everyone “do your Kegel exercises everyday”.
- Running in stairs. Here I can have high intensity and high speed. Love doing this since I can’t feel any pain or discomfort.
- Stability exercises
- Squats – you could always train your glute 😉
- CrossFit exercises and exercises where you have to lift your own body.
- Dance moves – never stop moving 😉
How would you define Women Fitness?
I fancy the magazine, and it gives me good tips and motivation. Having time off from kids and relaxing with tea and Women Fitness could make my evenings perfect.