Colon cleansing is extremely essential in each human being’s life however many of us do not even recognize it. Colon cleansing just refers to the cleaning of the large intestine. But it is not enough. The entire organ, that is, including the small intestine has to be cleaned. The colon tends to accumulate a lot of toxic materials than any other part of the body and as a result becomes thicker. Later it results in serious intestinal problems, which cannot be easily cured. The natural way of cleaning the colon is by fasting for a particular period, taking juices and herbs, by practicing yoga and meditation and by giving the body plenty of rest and relaxation.
The small intestine is the place where most nourishment is assimilated. Any problems or blockage associated with the small intestine will result in serious health problems. Yoga has given greater importance to colon cleansing, as it believes that the origin of all our ailments starts from our stomach.
In yoga, there is a practice called “Shankhaprakshalana” or “varisara dhauti” which means internal washing using water. It is a subtle process to repair the damages caused by the toxins that are in through different sources to our nervous system, skin, sinus area, intestine, liver, kidneys and in short to all parts of our body. The practice of this method will keep away many diseases that include heart problems, diabetes, blood pressure, and kidney failures. Say no to all diseases just by cleaning your colon.
Shankha meaning “conch” and prakshalana meaning to wash completely. The word shankha is used to represent the entire alimentary canal from mouth to anus. This practice is also known as “varisara dhauti”. Thus, Shankhaprakshalana is the process to clean the intestinal tract by removing the impurities with salty water.
NOTE – No one should try this in absence of Yoga Guru and without advice of medical practitioner.
Plenty of clean, warm water should be available, add 2 tea spoons of salt per liter to the water and 1 lemon juice per litter. Do not add sugar.
Place to practice:
The best place to practice Shankhaprakshalana is a garden or in an open area where there’s fresh air. Make sure that adequate toilet facilities are near by. The practice is best with a group of people doing together. The atmosphere should be relaxed to make sure that there are free bowl movements.
Start the process early in the morning at 6 to 7am. Initially drink 2 glasses of the water preparation as quickly as possible, in a sitting position.
Perform the following 6 asanas dynamically 6 times each, in all 36 asanas in one round, practice 2 rounds in the correct order as explained below:
- Keep the feet apart 16-18 inches from each other.
- Lift both the arms in front, bring it to shoulder level and interlock your fingers.
- Take interlocked hands up and face the palms up, straighten your arms.
- Lift your heals up and stretch your body in upward direction, stay for a while and then release it
- Repeat this asana for 6 times and then go for another asana
- Take the same position as tadasana without lifting the heals.
- Stretch the body up and bend towards left from waist and hold the position for some time.
- Come back to pre-position and relax.
- Bend towards right and hold for some time.
- Come back to pre-position and release.
- repeat this asana for 6 times and then go for another asana
- Take distance between both the legs of about 16-18 inches
- Raise your arms side-ways to shoulder level, palms of the hands facing downwards & parallel to ground.
- Turn from the waist towards left, keeping the arms parallel to ground.
- Bend right arm in elbow and turn around your body and put the hand on the left shoulder.
- Bend left arm in elbow and turn from back twist around the waist towards right.
- Turn your neck towards the left and give twist to whole body towards left. Remain still for a while in this position and then release the asana.
- Repeat it from the right side. This completes first round. Do 6 rounds continually.
- Bring both hands near the chest and place palms on the ground, keep the fingers together pointing front except the thumb drawn towards the body, Touch the forehead to the ground & raise the forehead, bend the neck backward.
- The distance between the legs should be 10-15 inches and touch the toes on the ground by stretching backwards.
- Bend the right hand in elbows and keeping the left hand straight from waist and give twist towards left along with neck.
- Release this position and repeat from right side and complete one round.
- Repeat this asana for 6 times.
- Take distance between 2 legs of about 8-10 inches, bend the knees touch the soles and sit down.
- Put both the hands on the knees bending the elbows.
- With the help of left hand press the left knee towards right foot but don’t lift up the right leg up in this position, give the pressure of right thigh to left thigh.
- Remain still in this position for while and then release
- Repeat this asana for 6 times.
- Take the same position as Udarakarshan
- Put your left leg in front of about 1 feet and bend the right knee towards the left foot
- Lift the right knee up and put it 1 feet forwards and at the same time left knee towards the right foot
- In the same way move forward and walk for about 20 feet by following same steps.
- Drink two glass of water which is specially prepared and repeat all the asanas each 6 times. If you need to go to the toilet, go and empty your bowels if they have not yet been emptied do not strain, it is not essential at this point. Drink two glasses of water and repeat two rounds of the asanas. When you feel to go to toilet leave the particular asana and go to toilet, and then come back continue from where you had left that particular asana. Afterwards continue drinking thewater, performing the asanas and going to toilet.
- As pressure increases less stools and more water will be evacuated. Eventually cloudy yellow water and finally almost clear water will be evacuated, but it varies from person to person. The speed at which one completes the practice should not be compared with that of others.
- Total rest for about 1 hr to 45 min is essential after the practice of Shankhaprakshalana in shavasana position, one should not sleep as it may result in a cold or headache. Try to maintain complete silence because during this time the whole digestive system is given a chance to recharge itself.
- Passing urine at this time is perfectly normal.
2 hours after completing Shankhaprakshalana the specially prepared food, khichri (rice + moong lentils), must be taken, eating this meal at correct time is essential. The 3 components of the khichri are helpful in the restoration of correct digestive function. The clarified butter (cow’s ghee) is necessary to coat the intestinal walls until the body produces new lining. Rice provides simple easily digestible material in the form ofcarbohydrates and creates mucus, which also protects the inner lining of the alimentary canal. The lentils supplement the diet by giving the body an easily digestible source of protein, it’s an all round nutritional meal and sufficient quantity of it must be eaten to help the intestines and keep the walls of the gut stretched, other wise they may cramp due to the absence of the bulk to which they are accustomed. This bulk not only maintains the lane but also aids the intestine to resume peristalsis. It is also important in order to present in digestion, diarrhea and constipation.
However, it is important not to sleep for at least 3 hours, after the initial meal Sleep during this period may lead to physical lethargy and headache; complete rest should be taken for the remaining of the day and also for the following days. During this period it is advisable to keep moan (silence) and avoid physical & mental work.
Frequency: This practice should be preformed only once in 6 months.
Duration: The whole day should be aside for this practice and the following day for the rest.
Practice: 1st day- 1 round, an increase one round per day, for 6 days.
Summing up – Natural Ways to enhance Colon Health:
- Drink plenty of pure and lukewarm water and apple juice to flush out extra fats from the alimentary canal.
- Eat meals rich in fibers like spinach, raw fruits, germinated green beans and the most important Psyllium.
- Use diets rich in probiotics which serve in replenishment of unsafe bacteria from the colon.
- Following Yoga asana highlighted especially to ensure the proper functioning of the lower digestive system.
- Avoiding ingestion of stuffs that escort to bowel abnormalities.
Above points can significantly simplify the process of cleansing.
- The Twelve Vital Principles to Improve Your Liver Function
- Top 10 to Preventing Colorectal Cancer
- Colorectal cancer — cancer of the colon or rectum
- Top 10 to increase Fiber Power
- Top 10 Nutrients for your Liver, Kidney and Gallbladder
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.