Diet…quite frankly the worst four-letter word in my honest opinion. I feel like in life we have plenty to feel bad for not executing properly and now we add eating to the list; something we have to do multiple times per day. Dieting can be restrictive, irritating, and let’s face down right confusing.
Here I’ll help cut the fads so you can actually enjoy a meal every once in a while, and STILL be on your weight loss game
1) Restriction doesn’t work.
If there were a magic bullet, then this would be a world of skinny people. What do you think, “Sara” is just more disciplined to follow the PALEO diet and therefore reaps the benefits while the rest of us poor schleps are destined to a life of obesity and yoyo dieting. NO! “Sara” is miserable right now, slave to some book and pouring over recipes. She can’t wait for January to be over so she can introduce alcohol back into her daily routine; she figured she’s been restricting for long enough. Sure restriction might work for a little while, but what happens when you’ve had a bad day and can’t get out of your own way, and there’s “Sara” asking you to have a glass of wine with her? Obviously you go, and that glass turns into a bottle, and McDonald’s and ice cream at 1 am. Had you remembered that you had 35 chances per week to eat well and if you could do that 32 times per week (including the occasional dessert and glass of wine) you would be well on your way to a healthier lifestyle and weight loss.
2) There isn’t just one way to lose weight.
Whole 30, Paelo, Keto, Intermittent Fasting, Atkins, and bears, oh my! Seriously, I can find things wrong with every single one of these diets.
- Whole 30 is way too restrictive – sure it’s a good idea to eliminate sugar and alcohol but you didn’t need to pay $20 on this book to know that.
- Paleo – a very prominent gastroenterologist that I admire very much once said something to me that I’ve taken with me – we’ve evolved since the days of our caveman ancestors…. all they had were berries and lions to eat; sometimes it’s ok to have a piece of bread.
- Intermittent Fasting- this so many ways to be executed, people get confused, and end up binging during their eating window.
- Keto/Atkins – remember Atkins induction stay varied people, so you don’t become bored!
Food is the joie de vie, and let me tell you if you shift the way you think about dieting – and understand that it doesn’t have to be a struggle things will get better for you. I mean you can always drink water… champagne only happens for special occasions.
3) Speaking of water… DRINK IT!
People come to me and tell me they don’t like it. What’s not to like? It quenches your thirst, it hydrates you, it makes your skin look younger – and let me tell you – people are always telling me how young I look and I say it’s because mostly I drink water and mind my business. Seriously though, often times you think you’re hungry and you’re just thirsty. Also helps move the food through the system – so optimal digestion if you’re properly hydrated, WHICH then means the food is moving through your system properly which ultimately means more weight loss.
4) One thing at a time, if after all this you still want to do one of the aforementioned diets, then go ahead and do it, just find the one that is most sustainable so you can do it long term.
Make sure you arm yourself with all the information, and remember every meal is a new chance to be successful – so if you fall off a little bit don’t let that derail you; just dust yourself off and try again. Eventually you will be at your goal if you make sure to see it through.