When it comes to dressing to impress, identifying your body type and the clothes that will enhance your natural figure is the first step you can take. Whether you’re top or bottom-heavy, have an hourglass figure, or have more of a straight frame, you can find the go-to outfits that will make you feel like a million bucks. You may even find that using shaping garments. such as great shapes hosiery, can help you look and feel your best while letting your own style shine through. Read on for some guidelines to get you started.
Identifying Your Body Shape
Getting your measurements is the first step in the process.
Take a measuring tape and note down the measurements of your shoulders, bust, waist, and hips.
- Shoulders: Loosely wrap the tape around the broadest part of your shoulders. This part may be a bit tricky, so it may be best to get someone’s help to pull this off.
- Bust: Measure around the fullest part of your bust so that the tape is snuggly wrapped without being too tight. Make sure to stand tall and maintain a good posture for a more accurate measurement.
- Waist: As tempting as it might be to suck your tummy in, this won’t do you any favors, so just relax and stand straight. You want to get the natural part of your waist, not where your pants’ waistband falls. This means measuring the smallest part of your waist, which is typically above the belly button. It’s good to keep in mind how you typically wear your pants as well. Are you more of a high-waisted type or do you prefer jeans that hang just off the hips?
- Hips: The fullest point is your aim here, so that means around your hips and across your butt. Make sure the tape measure lies flat all across. You can use a mirror to help you make sure you’re doing this correctly.
Once you have all your measurements recorded, you can then proceed to check which general shape category you fall under. The point here is not to follow a strict rule, but rather to use your shape as a guideline for how to best enhance your natural silhouette.
Types of Body Shapes
This is not an encompassing list, but rather the most common and general shapes that people tend to fall under.
- Apple: Also referred to as a round body type, apple-shaped bodies tend to be curvy with a less defined waist.
- Pear: Pear-shaped bodies tend to be bottom-heavy, meaning the hips tend to be wider than the shoulders.
- Hourglass: This body shape features balanced measurements between the shoulders and hips with a narrower waist.
- Inverted Triangle: Also known as top-heavy, this body shape features shoulders that measure wider than one’s hips.
- Rectangle: Those with rectangular body shapes have no marked difference among their measurements across body parts.
How to Dress for Your Body Shape
Depending on which type of body shape you have, there are numerous ways to draw attention to the assets that most complement your figure. Here are some ideas on what you can wear:
Show off those legs or create the illusion of a longer torso with a deep V neck. Empire cuts and A-line dresses are other options you can explore. You can also help balance out the proportions by choosing pants in flared cuts.
Strike a balance with breezy loose-fitting tops paired with skinny jeans. Patterned and ruffled tops also aid in creating the semblance of an hourglass figure. Play around with different necklines to bring focus to your upper body.
Flaunt your figure by choosing pieces that complement your curves in all the right places. Don’t be afraid to go for those body-hugging items; you can definitely pull them off. Emphasize your waist with dresses or belts that cinch right at or slightly below your natural waist.
Recognized as the most athletic-looking body shape, achieve some middle ground by shifting the spotlight to the lower half of your body. Pencil skirts and straight-cut jeans are some essentials you can keep in your wardrobe.
There are many ways you can enhance your silhouette if you have a rectangular frame. Arms and legs can be the main focal point here with strapless or sleeveless tops, dresses, and skirts. Don’t be afraid to default to layers and accessories to amp up the drama.
Bonus Fashion Tips
Wear the Right Underwear
Your underwear is to your outfit what a canvas is to a painting. A well-fitting pair of underwear makes for the perfect base whereas an ill-fitting pair prevents you from achieving your desired look. When you measure your bust, waist, and hips, make sure these are factored into choosing the right bra and panty. It may seem like something basic, but you’d be surprised how many women make the mistake of wearing essentials that are too tight, loose, or hug around all the wrong places.
Use Shapewear If You Want To
Your body is perfect just the way it is, but sometimes using shapewear gives you that added boost of confidence to feel like you can own any room. Whether it’s to slim down the tummy and thighs or to make getting into form-fitting pieces a whole lot easier, investing in high-quality shapewear can be a lifesaver.
Beyond the aesthetic value, it can also help improve your posture by providing more support for your lower back. You’ll find yourself standing taller, and that in itself provides a further dose of self-assurance.
Choose Clothes That Make You Happy
What clothes you choose to wear can affect your mood. If you feel like you have a killer outfit on, you’re more likely to turn heads with your confidence.
That said, the most important thing is that you feel great in your own skin regardless of your body type or shape. An article of clothing may satisfy all the guidelines based on your size and shape, but if you don’t feel comfortable in it, then that totally detracts from its purpose. Be bold and don’t be scared to mix, match, and try out new styles. Through this process, you can personalize your style depending on the day and your mood.
Pick colors, cuts, and styles that make you excited to get dressed in the morning. Don’t discount small details. If that pair of dangling earrings or that stack of bracelets elevates the look, then don’t hesitate to put them on. The best accessory you can have regardless of your outfit is a genuine smile, so make that your defining measure every time you step in front of that mirror and out the door.
Shopping for your body type does not have to be intimidating. With these guidelines in mind, you can surely find ways to complement your figure and own whatever look you choose to go for.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.