Family-Style Taco Night
1 tablespoon chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Dash of ground red pepper (optional)
2 pounds ground turkey
3/4 cup water
16 crunchy taco shells
2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
1 cup chopped tomato
1 cup chopped avocado (about 1)
4 ounces 2% reduced-fat preshredded Mexican-blend cheese (about 1 cup)
- Combine first 9 ingredients in a small bowl; add red pepper, if desired.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add turkey; cook 5 minutes or until browned, stirring to crumble. Sprinkle with spice mixture; cook 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring constantly. Add 3/4 cup water; cook 4 minutes or until thickened and meat is done.
- Heat taco shells according to package directions.
- Fill shells evenly with turkey filling, lettuce, tomato, avocado, and cheese.
Roasted Pumpkin Seeds
Yield: 1 cups seeds
1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin seeds
2 teaspoons melted butter (olive oil or vegetable oil work well) or 2 teaspoons melted oil (olive oil or vegetable oil work well)
garlic powder (optional)
cayenne pepper (optional)
seasoning salt (optional)
cajun seasoning (optional)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- While it’s OK to leave some strings and pulp on your seeds (it adds flavor) clean off any major chunks.
- Toss pumpkin seeds in a bowl with the melted butter or oil and seasonings of your choice.
- Spread pumpkin seeds in a single layer on baking sheet.
- Bake for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until golden brown.
Dead Man’s Finger Sandwiches
Thin sliced white bread, crusts removed
Cream cheese or peanut butter
- Gently flatten the slices of bread with a rolling pin to make them more pliable.
- Spread with a little margarine and some cream cheese or peanut butter.
- Roll up the sandwiches and make three indentations with a blunt knife to form the finger joints.
- Trim the ends of the fingers into a ‘V’ shape and stick an almond on to each tip with a little cream cheese to form the nails.
- Now for the gruesome bit—add a dollop of strawberry jam over the end of the finger for the blood!
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.