A High protein diet consist of at least 20% protein and very high protein diets contain at least 30% protein. With this plan, you are basically consuming between 30 to 60 % of daily calories in the form of protein, and the rest from carbs, fruits, veggies, and fats. In a typical diet only about 10 to 15 percent of calories come from protein.
With a low carb high protein diet you can look for the following benefits
- Protein is important for rebuilding all cells. Hair, nails, cartilage, skin, bone and blood cells benefit by protein rich foods. Protein is also essential for hormone, enzyme and other important chemical production.
- A major benefit of high protein intake is that it leaves the person feeling full for a longer period of time and therefore curbs the dieters desire to eat frequently, which can lead to weight loss
- Promote less calorie intake, since common carb products such as bread and pastries tend to have very high calories leading to less feelings of hunger between meals and more even energy level
- High protein consumption promotes the growth and maintenance of lean muscle mass. Good for body builders and those trying to build lean muscle, this is a great diet to follow as it promotes weight loss;
- A person body on high protein diet will reach ketosis quickly (burns fat, as opposed to carbs, so you can lose weight faster)
- Absence of sluggishness after meals, which usually happens after high carb meals.
- According to Donald Layman, a professor at the University of Illinois, increased protein intake can benefit patients with osteoporosis, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome, heart disease, and sarcopenia, as well as obesity.
- A recent study from the University of Copenhagen in Denmark shows that a high protein diet can be beneficial to women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS).
There are some drawbacks to this diet. Some of the cons of high protein, low carb diets are:
- Stress on the kidney if you do not drink enoughwater
- Potential lack of essential vitamins and minerals by drastically reducing carbs
- By eliminating fruits and vegetables, you also cut out a key source of dietary fiber. Constipation can occur if enough fiber is not taken.
- Feelings of weakness and lethargy
- High protein meat products are often also high in animal fats. Animal fats are mostly saturated fats and cholesterol; and known to increase the risk of heart disease and certain types of cancer.
- High protein diets can cause the body to accumulate ketones, which result in a body odor. To counteract this, make sure to drink lots of water more than normal to help dilute the ketones.
- Studies have shown that weight loss from high protein diets is not a long-term solution to obesity and its effectiveness is primarily due to water loss.
Proper balance is, essential and you have to know when too much, or too little, is going to affect your health. For body builders, and those who work out constantly, high amounts of protein is needed in your system in order to function and have sufficient fuel. But, you must include healthy carbs, and should not cut them out entirely.
Knowing what the healthy balance is, make sure you consume a sufficient amount of healthy carbs each day, which can come in the form of fruits and vegetables. Although carbs should not be consumed too often, or in too high an amount, you do need them as a source of fuel in your system, and if you choose healthy carbs, they are going to promote a healthier lifestyle.
Note: Any diet that involves the elimination of large numbers of foods requires careful observation.