What is your daily fitness routine? Sports you like to pursue? How do you like to kick start your day? Any post-workout drink you take.
It’s about health first, and when you live a healthy lifestyle that includes regular exercise, the rest falls into place. Committing to your health is committing to self-love, when you love and respect yourself on the inside; it shows on the outside, too!
I wouldn’t recommend everyone to follow my fitness routine because I train hard most of the time since it satisfies me both physically and mentally. While I enjoy pushing myself physically, I listen to my body and allow rest days whenever needed, sometimes I’ll even feel called to take a week off and focus on yoga instead. I don’t obsess over my weight or reaching a certain look or level in fitness, I enjoy pushing myself and breaking my own personal records for fun! I find exercise to be excellent for mental health, I like to start my day with a workout class or hike because it helps me release tension to feel more focused for the rest of the day.
As a former professional athlete (showjumping and American football), I’m used to being pushed hard physically by trainers and coaches, so I prefer to exercise with a trainer, in a group class, or group hike that motivates me to work harder. I don’t have a trainer now, I alternate between HIIT and Pilates classes which are the perfect combination for me both physically and mentally. I take group HIIT classes at a gym called Training Mate where I don’t have to run (I’m not a runner) and they provide other forms of cardio in the classes while making sure that my form is on point to prevent injury. I mix that with the hardest Pilates class you’ll find in Los Angeles at Carrie’s Pilates Plus, I love it!
As far as post-workout drinks go, I stick to water and consider the types of smoothies I make to be meals rather than drinks because they’re packed with vitamins and minerals.
Portion control can go a long way to prevent weight gain & enjoy guilt-free eating. Do you agree if yes, please elaborate on how? How do you help your clients overcome body-shaming?
It makes me sad seeing so many people obsess over their weight and diet all the time, even in today’s society where people are becoming more accepting of size inclusivity when it’s healthy. It can be an adjustment to transition to a healthier lifestyle, but maintaining a healthy lifestyle is far more rewarding than crash diets, etc. If I was on a strict diet 24/7, I’d be miserable and hungry, and I’d rather be happy and enjoy my life. I don’t compare myself to others because I don’t want to look like anyone else or be a specific size; I focus on how I feel instead. I don’t own a scale and am motivated to be the best version of myself as a healthy and happy woman and encourage others to do the same. Having healthy self-discipline enables me to live a balanced lifestyle where I eat well 90% of the time and then indulge in less healthy options for the remaining 10%. Eating healthy makes me feel my best, so I don’t crave unhealthy foods often because they don’t make me feel good, especially sugary and fried foods.
Portion control is important today because the portions served are significantly larger than they should be, and I make sure that portions are correct for my clients as well as for me. Portion size depends on what else you’re eating throughout the day and whether you’re trying to consume leaner meals to lose weight, maintain the same weight, build muscle or gain weight. You want to make sure that you’re properly hydrated and have a large glass of water before eating to take care of dehydration so you know how hungry you really are. Chew your food thoroughly and avoid drinking while eating as much as possible to prevent bloating and other digestive disruptions. Whether I’m preparing dessert for a job or for myself, I make desserts on the smaller side so that your sweet tooth is satisfied, but you don’t have too much.
Do postmenopausal women tend to gain lower belly fat? Can you share herbs or diet modification tips they can follow to manage the hormones?
You can’t spot-treat fat, the body should be treated as a whole, and if someone stores fat in their abdomen more than other areas, that is often hormone-related. When this happens to a woman, she should address possible hormone imbalance as well as gut health.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.