As the name suggests Salsa in Spanish stands for “sauce” — a catchall term for the zingy, chili-spiced mixtures that add pizzazz to a range of dishes. This week we show you how to make five simple enriching salsas.
1. Mango Salsa
- 3 mangos
- 1 pineapple
- 1 red onion
- 1/2 bunch of cilantro
- 1 lime
- salt (optional)
- Cut and slice the mangos, pineapple, red onion and cilantro.
- Place all of them in a bowl.
- Cut and squeeze one lime over the bowl.
- Add a pinch of salt (optional).
- Mix all ingredients and serve chilled.
2. Strawberry Salsa
- 1 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/4 cup finely chopped peeled avocado
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped red onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon lime zest
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped jalapeño pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Agave Nectar, honey or white sugar
- Gently mix all ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Serve immediately. You can make this a couple of hours before serving, but if you let sit too long, it will develop a liquid base.
- Serve with cinnamon tortilla chips, or over top of grilled chicken, pork, or fish for a sweet and savory addition to your meal.
3. Pear Pepper Salsa
- 1 small ripe pear (about 1 cup cubed)
- ½ red pepper (about 1 cup cubed)
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Core pear (un-peeled) and cut into ½-inch pieces over a bowl to catch the pear juice. Add pieces to bowl.
- Seed bell pepper and cut into -inch pieces; add to bowl.
- Add jalapeño pepper, cumin, lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper to taste. Toss well and set aside.
4. Apricot Salsa
- 2 Whole Apricots, chopped
- 1/2 Fresh Lime, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Wine Vinegar
- 1 Whole Medium Tomato
- 3 Tablespoons White Onion, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons Jalapeno, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Orange Blossom Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Cilantro, chopped
- Finely chop the tomato, onion, jalapeno, and cilantro. Combine in a medium sized bowl. Sprinkle with salt, red wine vinegar, and lime juice, stir until mixed. Chop the apricots, removing the stone, and add to the mixture. Drizzle with honey and stir well.
- Adjust ingredient a to taste.
5. Avocado-Cucumber Salsa
- 1 medium cucumber (seeded and diced)
- 2 medium firm-ripe avocados (peeled, pitted, and diced)
- ½ red onion (diced)
- juice of 2 limes (about ¼ cup)
- salt (to taste)
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 3 jalapeno peppers (seeded and finely chopped)
- In a medium bowl combine cucumber, avocado, red onion, fresh cilantro, and jalapeño peppers.
- Add the lime juice and season with salt. Gently toss to combine. Serve within an hour of preparing.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.