Nutritive InformationPer serving:
- 70 calories
- 3 g total fat (0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat)
- 0 mg cholesterol,
- 11 g carbohydrates
- 2 g protein
- 0 g dietary fiber
- 10 mg sodium
- 7 g sugar
- 0 g added sugar.
- 3 Ib ripe plum tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 large garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh oregano, or 1 tsp. dried
- 1/2 tsp. sugar, optional
- 1 Tbsp. chopped fresh basil, or 1 tsp. dried
- Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cut thin slice off top of tomatoes. Peel tomatoes, using either serrated swivel-blade vegetable peeler or hot water method. Chop tomatoes and set aside; there will be 6-7 cups.
- In large heavy pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and cook, stirring often, until onion starts to color, 3-4 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and oregano and stir well. Cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes.
- Taste sauce, adding sugar if it is too acidic. Mix in basil and cook until tomatoes have broken down to your taste, 10-15 minutes for chunky sauce, 12-15 minutes for pulpier sauce.
- Add salt and pepper, to taste. Notes To peel tomatoes using the hot water method, drop 2-3 tomatoes at a time into a large pot of boiling water until the skins crack, 1-2 minutes. Immediately transfer tomatoes to a bowl of ice water. When tomatoes are cool enough to handle, use your fingers to pull off the skin. Halve tomatoes lengthwise and use your thumb to push out seeds, then your fingers to remove pulpy ribs.