Nutritive InformationPer 1 cookie serving:
- 75 calories,
- 3 g total fat (1 g saturated fat),
- 12 g carbohydrate,
- 1 g protein,
- <1 g dietary fiber,
- 80 mg sodium.
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1 ¼ tsp ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup dairy-free buttery shortening sticks
- 1/2 cup sugar, plus 2 tablespoons
- 2 Tbsp. unsulphured molasses
- 1 large egg white
- 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In mixing bowl, whisk together both flours, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon, pepper and salt. In another bowl, use electric mixer on medium-high speed to beat non-dairy shortening sticks with 1/2 cup of the sugar for 2 minutes. Add molasses and egg white and beat for 3 minutes. Set mixer on low speed and mix in dry ingredients just to combine – leaving white streaks is better than over-mixing. Batter will form soft ball.
- Place remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in wide, shallow bowl. Pinch off about 1 tablespoon batter and roll it between your palms, forming 1-inch ball. Place ball in bowl with sugar and roll to coat it, and then place on light-colored, ungreased baking sheet. Discard leftover sugar. Repeat, spacing balls 2-inches apart. Using back of a glass, press to flatten each ball into 1 ⅓-inch disk.
- Bake cookies for 10 minutes. While cookies bake, for glaze, in small bowl, combine confectioners' sugar with lemon juice, mixing until sugar is completely dissolved.
- When cookies are done, immediately use spatula to transfer to wire cooling racks. Using tip of a knife, spread 1/4 teaspoon glaze on top of each warm cookie. Cool completely. Store in cookie tin for up to 1 week.