Swara Yoga is science which is a complete study, observations, control and manipulation of breath or Swara. In swara yoga, you will find association of breath in relation to activities of sun, moon, various seasons, physical and mental conditions of individuals etc. So Swara Yoga is more comprehensive in theory and practices related to breath.
Swara is Sanskrit word, meaning sound or note. It is also a continuous flow of air through one nostril. Yoga means union, so Swara yoga is a science which is realization of cosmic consciousness through control and manipulation of breath. Swara yoga works with the theories of the three nadis, the five pranas, koshas and tattwas, as well as the charkas of the individual.
Although it appears that we breathe through both nostrils all the time, observation shows that in fact, the function one of the two nostrils dominates at any given time. Further, this predominance alternates at regular intervals, indicating a pattern and a rhythm. This is due to the presence of curious convolutions inside the nose called turbinates, which alternately swell and subside. While the most obvious result of this is the alternative dominance of right and left nostrils in breathing, turbinates are said to affect the quality of the air flow in many other ways as well, which, in turn, affects bodily and mental states.
- It enables us to understand the composition of our bodies in Ayurveda terms, and become aware of the subtle vibrations of our minds as well as the greater forces governing our lives. The right hemisphere, governed by the IDA nadi flowing through the left nostril, is responsible for experiences which are intangible to the external sense receptors. Thus it is responsible for psychic and extra – sensory perception, and it stimulates creative, artistic and musical abilities, as also the experience of intuition and psychic perception. The left brain hemisphere or PINGALA nadi, governed by the flow of breath through the right nostril, is responsible for the rational, analytical, logical and mathematical intellect
- Swara yoga is useful while initiating any action starting from waking up in the morning, having bath, eating, involving in different types of works, mental activities, physical activities etc
Readjusting the Swara
- Close active nostril with finger or cotton wool
- Inhale through active nostril & exhale through inactive
- Apply pressure to the armpit of the active nostril
- Lie down on the same side of the active nostril
- Cold bath or hot water changes the Swara
- Food consumed changes Swara
- Chilli, ginger – Solar / right Swara
- Yogurt, bananas – left / lunar Swara
Behavior associated with Left and Right Hemispheres
|Left brain||Right brain|
|Temporal||Here and now|
|Recognition and grasping powerless||Recognizes faster|
|Imaginal perception defective||Imaginal perception improved|
|Recalls names of objects easily?||Recognizes objects easily but cannot recall the name|
|Verbal Speech||Non verbal or Spatial|
|Power of conversation increased? Answers are
give in detailed explanation
|Diminished capacity for speech
Difficulty in conversing
Short and simple answers
|Cannot distinguish between male and female sounds||Can distinguish between male and female sounds|
|Pingala Nadi||Ida Nadi|
|Recognizes words||Recognizes non verbal sounds like tones and tunes|
|Rich and Varied Vocabulary|
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.