According to dermatologists applying makeup to mask lesions and dryness is safe to use as Psoriasis is caused from the inside out. Applying a cosmetic product over the plaque should not make it worse but camouflage it.
The secret, to cover up facial psoriasis is to go light. Also, never apply it on open psoriasis lesions.
Tips to Choose the Right Make Up for Psoriasis Sufferers
Before applying make-up hydrate your skin. Hydrate by sitting in warm water with bath oil for about 10 to 15 minutes & then exfoliate the scales with gentle towel.
Here are some tips for choosing the right makeup for psoriasis:
- Use liquid foundations avoiding the ones that are too slippery as they tend to cling to the areas you are trying to conceal. There are also foundations designed specifically to cover psoriasis, acne and rosacea on the face and neck, consult a cosmetologist.
- Use of concealer: Green concealers are highly recommended for facial psoriasis as they provide a highly efficient way to counteract the stubborn redness that may not be covered well by regular concealers, and make your skin look clearer after applying makeup. Choose one that matches your skin tone.
- Check the product does not possess sparkle or glitter. Instead, opt for matte finish cosmetics. They can irritate your skin.
- Avoid using powdered formulas as they emphasize flaking and scaling. Check for salicylic acid before buying as it has drying effect as in acne.
- Choose foundations that contain sunscreen
Last but not the least, always do a patch test first. You can test the product underneath your jaw by applying a little bit of it, be it foundation or concealer. If after a while the product does not irritate your facial skin, you are good to go.
Remember that less is more when it comes to makeup on psoriasis.