The number of c-section (A cesarean section, also called a c-section, is a surgical procedure performed when a vaginal delivery is not possible or safe, or when the health of the mother or the baby is at risk. During this procedure, the baby is delivered through surgical incisions made in the abdomen and the uterus.) deliveries has increased steeply from 4.5 percent of all deliveries in 1965 to 29.1 percent in 2006.
Natural Birth has an enormous positive value for the lifelong physical and spiritual health and well-being of a mother as well of a baby.
New research suggests mothers who deliver vaginally may have a heightened bond with their babies compared to mothers who deliver via caesarean section(c-section). Researchers found mothers who delivered their babies vaginally were significantly more responsive to the cry of their own baby than mothers who had c-section delivery. MRI brain scans showed the mothers who delivered vaginally were more sensitive to their baby’s cry in the regions of the brain that regulate emotions, motivation and habitual behaviors.
This difference may be because delivering a child naturally involves the pulsatile release of oxytocin from the posterior pituitary, uterine contractions and vagino-cervical stimulation, whereas c-section delivery does not.
Benefits of Natural Childbirth
- Mothers who labor naturally can move freely, go to the bathroom, walk and change positions throughout labor. According to the Cochrane Review, recent studies have shown that getting medication makes changing positions even after birth more difficult.
- Since you can feel your body’s reflexes in natural childbirth, mothers can push better and generally faster. In fact studies show that getting an epidural prolongs your pushing time.
- The pain during labor serves a purpose by guiding the mother to seek certain positions. For example, if her back hurts, she will naturally seek positions off her back which can help to turn her baby. Having back pain is one sign that the baby might be posterior and needs to rotate.
- Mothers often describe that their recovery after a natural childbirth was faster and easier since they could get right up and walk and shower. Usually they eat right away and their appetite is normal.
- Endorphins secreted during a natural childbirth have been found in the placenta and umbilical cord. This may serve a purpose to help the baby adjust to life outside as well as make the journey more comfortable for baby.
- Research has shown that in mothers who have natural childbirth, babies are more alert and show more interest in pre-breastfeeding behaviours such as sucking and massaging the mother’s breasts, as well as the actual length of time they spend nursing within the first 90 minutes.
- Normal born babies delivered through vagina are always healthier than medically born babies such as those in test tubes experimentation or the child is premature. This is because they are born naturally by their mother as such they should be born. They have attained the required period of gestation.
- Babies born from the vagina have stronger lungs adapted in time to carry oxygen to the body tissues.
Benefits of Medicated Birth
- Mothers who are having a very long labor can benefit from using pain medication to get some rest before the pushing stage.
- If the mother is tensing up during contractions,pain medication can help her relax so that her body is not fighting against the labor.
- If the mother has a lot of fear about birth or issues from her past, it may affect the progress of her labor. At times, medication may help to ease her anxiety.
- C-section may be considered necessary under some conditions for the health and wellbeing of both mother and child
For more on Natural Birth vs. Medicated Birth, click here.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.