The beauty and wellness sector is looking forward to 2023 with high hopes. There is going to be a minimalist trend that indicates that less is more in make-up, nail art, and hairstyles. Looks that require little makeup on the face, hairstyles that remain low maintenance, and hair colours that are lived in will be the trends that will take over other styles that are overdone.
In order to achieve naturally beautiful skin, it is expected that people will focus on opting for natural approaches and means to enhance the beauty of their skin. In addition, they will opt for natural beauty routines in order to ensure their skin is naturally beautiful.
According to Dr. Alain Michon, Medical Director at the Ottawa Skin Clinic “Finding a skincare routine that works for you can be challenging, which is why sometimes it’s best to start with a minimalist routine and then expand from there.” Dr. Michon is a graduate of Family Medicine and Emergency Medicine at the University of Ottawa and brings over a decade of experience in the field of medical aesthetics to the table.
Minimalist Skin Care for Healthy Skin
For any skincare routine, you will want to nail down the four basic steps:
Having these steps as the core of your skincare routines will allow your skin to stay clean, sealed, balanced, hydrated, and protected from the sun.
- In the morning, you will want to use all four products.
- Use a gentle (non-abrasive) cleanser to start, then follow up with toner, moisturizer, and sunscreen, all before applying any makeup.
- Once you have your routine down, consider adding a Vitamin C serum after cleansing, as this is essential for anti-aging.
- At night, wash off all the dirt and oils from the day and repeat the toner and moisturizer steps.
- Consider using a lipid restore moisturizer at night as this helps facilitate the skin cycle and replenish collagen while you sleep.
- Additionally, once you have your minimalist routine down, consider adding in an exfoliant step once a week to help remove dead skin cells and allow the active ingredients in your moisturizer to penetrate more deeply.
How to Find the Right Product?
Finding the right products for your skin type can be challenging, but a few general guidelines can help you get started.
For dry skin, you will want to use a product that has soothing and hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid and rosehip. In addition, cream-based cleansers are popular for dry skin as they won’t strip away your natural oils that help to keep your skin hydrated. Finally, moisturizing twice a day is essential for those with dry skin.
For oily skin, you will want to stick to lightweight formulas that are designated non-comedogenic to help avoid clogging the pores with excess sebum. A gel-based moisturizer is a good choice as it will be water-based and, therefore, more lightweight on the skin.
Sensitive and combination skin can be some of the toughest to balance with product usage. First, try a natural oil-based cleanser that is non-comedogenic. The oil absorbs oil, so a product with argan oil, for example, can help moisturize, hydrate, and even heal impurities without feeling heavy on the skin.
For toners, use one without alcohol to avoid stripping your skin’s barrier. A good toner will help balance your complexion over time and add a boost of nutrients that will fight free radicals, which helps mitigate noticeable signs of aging.
- Consistency is key. It will take your skin time to adjust to new products and start benefiting from the active ingredients, so keep your routine going even if you see results immediately!
- Switching up your products too often can actually irritate the skin more, so be patient and try to give each new product a solid six weeks to prove itself.
- Always use products as instructed and consult a skin care professional for guidance or help to craft your personalized skincare routine.
About Ottawa Skin Clinic
The Ottawa Skin Clinic by Originis is a medically supervised skincare and cosmetic clinic operating in the Ottawa area. We offer a wide range of cosmetic procedures using the most up-to-date technologies. We are known for our friendly approach and expertise in providing a safe environment and comfortable experience for all our clients. Not only are our physicians, nurse, and aestheticians highly trained and educated in medical cosmetic procedures, but the unbridled passion for our work shines through in each interaction we have with clients.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.