The basic features of elliptical machines include the drive system, the resistance system and the stride length.
Why to choose an elliptical trainer?
- There are many benefits to using an elliptical trainer but probably one of the most important benefits of using an elliptical trainer is the absence of impact.
- Elliptical exercise equipment combines the movements and benefits of hiking, cross country skiing, and biking. With elliptical exercise equipment, your legs travel in an elongated circular motion.
- With quality elliptical exercise equipment, you feel the movement as fluid. For this reason elliptical trainer workouts are safe on the joints and provide a no impact workout (as opposed to a treadmill where you feet hit the deck with every step). This is ideal for people with back, knee, hips and joint problems as well as older people looking for a no-impact workout.
- While using an elliptical machine gives you a no-impact workout, the resistance exercise still helps to build bone density and fight off osteoporosis.
- The elliptical trainer uses all of the muscles of the lower leg. Therefore, you will strengthen and build your lower legs.When you move forward, you’ll work your quadriceps and gluteal muscles. Some machines also come with handles that are moved back and forth to work the upper body too. So a person can get a full body workout, including cardio, on one machine.
- Elliptical trainers have also been proven to offer a lower ‘Perceived Rate of Exertion’ when working out. This means that you’re doing more work and burning more calories while feeling like you put out less effort. You burn a lot of calories, more so than with a treadmill or exercise bike and it feels as if you are just strolling along.
- Great For Cross training: Because elliptical trainers are a mix between the treadmill and a stair climber you have a great opportunity to cross-train. You can have a look at these gloves for crossfit, to start training today!
- As it offers a variety working out on an elliptical trainer prevents boredom.
- Most elliptical trainers are smaller than a treadmill and can be more easily moved to clean or to store away when company is coming. If you are cramped for space or have a smaller home gym, an elliptical trainer can be a great way to save space while getting an overall body workout.
- Another great thing about the elliptical trainer is that you can move at a comfortable speed while allowing for the occasional burst of high intensities.
How to Select an Elliptical Machine
Selecting an elliptical machine is more complex than just trying one out and deciding to buy it. You should consider a number of factors, including:
• Budget – how much can you afford to spend?
• Size – how big is the space where you will use and store the machine?
• Warranty – how long is the warranty on the machine?
• Maintenance – what kind of regular maintenance is needed?
• Features – what basic and advanced features are most important to you and how much extra are you willing to pay to get them?
Calories burned on an elliptical trainer
Factors that dictate how many calories you burn include:
- Workout Duration
- Interval Training
- Elliptical Tension Settings
- Body Composition (Muscle to Fat Ratio)
- State of Cardiovascular system (regular exerciser or new to exercise)
- Upper Body Arm Usage
According to the machine manufacturers, a general estimate of calories burned by an elliptical trainer can go up to 720 calories an hour. However, general estimate of calories burned with an Elliptical Trainer is 387 calories for a 150 pound woman who has done 30 minutes of elliptical exercise.
An elliptical workout burns 13 calories per minute.
Elliptical equipment offers so many advantages over other forms of exercise and other exercise equipment. It is no wonder they are growing in popularity. These machines provide a workout that is easy on a persons body, but is intense at the same time. An elliptical workout provides an overall body workout without all the strain.
If you haven’t used an elliptical you need to give one a try. If you are thinking about home fitness equipment, seriously consider an elliptical trainer. The benefits surpass those you receive from a treadmill, and you will be doing your body a favor.