Two important factors that are responsible for breast involution are skin elasticity and breast density. Breast shape changes as the result of gravity, breast growth, pregnancy, breast feeding, weight fluctuations which in turn cause stretching of the skin’s collagen and elastin which keep the skin firm.
Hormonal regulation plays an important role. Breast evolution begins with menarche. During pregnancy, estrogen and progesterone stimulate the development of 15-20 lobes of milk-secreting glands present in the fatty tissues of the breast. These glands add bulk and firmness to the breast. During menopause, there occurs a fall in the level of estrogen and progesterone in the body, which makes the breast shrink. Premature sagging of the breast is caused due to stretching of the Cooper’s ligament which supports the breast. Ptosis can result from reduction in volume of the breast tissues after pregnancy and weight loss. Smoking, too can cause sagging by destroying elastin, the protein that gives skin its elasticity.
Women can take effective care to minimize the sagging effect- performing regular chest firming exercises is one step in the right direction.
- Swimming is considered to be a superb exercise for obtaining firmer and healthy bust line. Resistance of the water, provides an effective pectoral workout and helps in improving breast shape. Strokes like butterfly, freestyle and the backstroke engages the pectoral muscles differently.
- Bench Press (Db): Working out with dumbbell and barbell provides resistance to the pectoral muscles and hence better bust definition. To perform bench press– Lay flat with your back on an exercise bench and hold a dumbbell in each hand. Rest the dumbbells on your thighs as you position yourself. Bring the dumbbells up to your chest. Position the dumbbells at shoulder width so that the dumbbells frame your chest. Your palms should be facing forward and your elbows creating a 90-degree angle. Begin by pressing the dumbbells straight up and away from your shoulders, exhaling throughout until your arms are completely extended. Contract your chest for one count, then slowly return to the starting position as you inhale. Do two to three sets of eight to 10 repetitions. Take up incline and decline bench press for a complete chest workout.
- Flyes (Db): Lie supine on bench. Feet are kept flat on the floor, weight on the heels, lower leg perpendicular to the floor, with the buttocks always in contact with the bench. This is to prevent extreme arching of your lower back. Feet are kept flat on the ground or end of the bench a wide foot stance to increase stability on the bench. Pinch the shoulder blades together to avoid recruiting the anterior deltoid during the lift. Keep your chest up at all time. Don’t allow your chest to go flat or shoulders to roll forward. You’ll lose upper-back tightness, losing power & increasing risk of shoulder injury. Support dumbbells above the chest with the arms fixed in a slightly bent position. Internally rotate shoulders so elbows to the sides. Lower dumbbells to sides until chest muscles are stretched with elbows fixed (locked in position, slightly bent). The important thing to remember is to have a slight bend in the elbows, have the palms facing up during the movement, and pull your shoulder blades back together when you lower the weight so it takes strain off the rotator cuff. Bring dumbbells together in a hugging motion until dumbbells are nearly together. Squeeze the pecs so that the shoulder blades should start moving away from each other because that is what the pecs do. Repeat.
- Push-Ups: Your whole body should be completely straight and stretched. Only the tips of your toes and the palms should be resting on the ground. The hands are just under the shoulder axis, flat on the ground. Bend your arms slightly. Lower your body evenly. In the end position the arms are bent at about a right angle. The tips of your feet provides the pivot of the movement. The body remains stretched and tense.
Note: Do not sag your body. Repeat 3 sets of 10 rep.
- Elbows Squeeze: Stand tall, bend your hands slightly in the elbows, keep your hands on your hips. Try to touch your elbows one to the other behind your back, do not do it in jerks, but rather do it slowly, stretching the muscles for 10-15 seconds. Repeat 8 times.
- Dips: Grasp a parallel dipping bar with your palms facing one another. Raise your body until your arms are fully extended. Allow your body to hang naturally with a slight lean forward. Lower your body as far as possible. Return to the original starting position and repeat. Note: Do not arch your back all through the motion.
For Effective Results:
- Maintain Proper Posture: By making an effort to stand straight and tall, you contribute to a higher look for your breasts in mere seconds. Yoga and Pilates can also benefit posture and strengthen your chest muscles, adding to the appearance of sexier cleavage.
- Buy a Bra that Fits you Well: It’s important to wear a bra that is comfortable and your size. While wearing a bra doesn’t do anything to firm your muscles, it does create a pleasing outline. When you wear one that flatters your figure, it lifts your breasts in an attractive way. You can try a convertible bra and cross the bra straps in the back to pull the cups closer together in the front. This brings the breasts together and lifts them up, which makes them look bigger and creates exactly what you want–cleavage. Push-up bras are also a good option.
- Diet: Intake of protein, carbohydrates, fats,vitamins, calcium, salts and minerals must be increased sufficiently.
- Herbal Remedy: Pueraria mirifica is a type of herb grown in northern and north eastern Thailand and Myanmar, containing high levels of phytoestrogen. However, results seem to be controversial.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.