Nutritive InformationPer Serving:
- 400 calories,
- 10 g fat (2 g. saturated fat),
- 58 g carbohydrate,
- 26 g protein,
- 12 g dietary fiber,
- 606 mg sodium.
- 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. lean beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 medium carrots, cubed
- 2 cups diced leeks, rinsed well
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes in juice
- 2 cans (6 ounces each) tomato paste
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) fat-free, reduced sodium beef broth
- 3 Tbsp. dried oregano
- 2 cups water
- 2 large potatoes, cubed
- 1 1/4 lbs. frozen green beans
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large pot or stockpot, heat olive oil over medium-high heat.
- Add 1/2 of beef and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring, until browned on all sides. Remove beef from pot and set aside. Repeat procedure with remaining beef.
- In the same pot, sauté onions for about 5 minutes, stirring often until translucent. Remove onions from pot and set aside.
- Add carrots, leeks, and garlic, and sauté for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until barely tender. Return beef and onions to pot. Add tomatoes with juice, tomato paste, broth, oregano, and water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1 hour, until beef is almost tender.
- Add potatoes and bring back to a boil. Lower heat, cover partially, and simmer for about 15 minutes, until potatoes are barely tender.
- Add green beans and kale and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes, until kale is tender. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.