Nutritive InformationPer Serving:
- Calories: 289 Kcal
- Fat: 9 g
- Carbohydrate: 37 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Fiber: 4 g
- Sodium: 307 mg.
- Canola oil cooking spray
- Panko bread crumbs: 1/2 cup
- Grated Parmesan cheese: 1/3 cup , divided
- Canola oil: 1 Tbsp.
- Whole-wheat rotelle pasta: 8 oz.
- Low-fat (1%) milk: 1 cup
- Unsalted butter: 1 Tbsp.
- All-purpose flour: 1 Tbsp.
- Sharp light (50 percent) Cheddar cheese: 1½ cups (2½ oz.)
- Canned unsweetened pumpkin: 1 cup
- Mustard powder: 1/2 tsp.
- Ground black pepper: 1/4 tsp.
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Ground nutmeg, optional: 1/8 tsp.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Coat 6 cup baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- To breadcrumbs, add 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese and toss to combine. Add oil and using your fingers, toss to coat breadcrumbs, then set mixture aside.
- In large pot, boil 4 quarts of water. Add pasta and cook for 10 minutes, until slightly al dente. Drain in colander, and set aside.
- While pasta cooks, in microwave or small saucepan, heat milk until it steams, and set aside.
- In large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute, whisking slowly. Off heat, gradually add milk while whisking to avoid lumps. Return pot to medium-high heat and simmer sauce until it thickens to consistency of stirred yogurt, 3 minutes. Add cheese, remaining Parmesan cheese, pumpkin, mustard, black and cayenne peppers and nutmeg, if using, and stir until cheddar melts. Mix in cooked pasta. Spread mac and cheese in prepared baking dish. Sprinkle seasoned breadcrumbs over top.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until breadcrumbs are crisp and golden brown. Serve immediately