Nutritive InformationPer portion:
Calories: 158 Kcal
Fat: 8 g
Carbohydrate: 20 g
Protein: 4 g
Fiber: 4 g
- whole-wheat Italian bread: 3 cups (4 oz.), in 1-inch cubes
- garlic clove: 1, halved lengthwise
- very ripe plum tomatoes: 3
- celery rib: 1, thinly sliced
- diced sweet onion: 1/2 cup
- romaine lettuce: 3 cups , cut crosswise into 3/4-inch strips
- chopped flat leaf parsley: 3 Tbsp. , optional
- white or red wine vinegar: 3 Tbsp.
- sea salt: 1/4 tsp.
- sugar: 1/2 tsp.
- dried oregano: 1 tsp.
- Freshly ground pepper
- extra virgin olive oil: 2 Tbsp.
- Spread cubed bread in single layer on baking sheet and let sit until surface feels dry on most sides, or cubes are firm but not stale-hard, 2 to 6 hours.
- Rub salad bowl, preferably wood or bamboo, liberally with cut side of half a garlic clove. Reserve the other garlic half for another use. Cut tomatoes lengthwise into quarter-wedges, then cut crosswise into chunky pieces. Place tomatoes and any juice in prepared bowl.
- Add celery, onion and bread cubes. Arrange lettuce over chopped vegetables. Sprinkle on parsley, if using.
- For dressing, whisk vinegar, salt and sugar in small bowl until salt and sugar dissolve. Add oregano and 3-4 grinds pepper. Whisk in oil.
- At table, pour dressing over salad and toss until it well-coated and any extra dressing pools in bottom of bowl. Divide salad among 4 wide, shallow bowls, including liquid from bottom of salad bowl.