Nobody can save you but yourself, and you’re worth saving. It’s a war not easily won, but if anything is worth winning then this is it.”
Jaz Jackson is quickly rising to an iconic level of success through her entrepreneurial, social media, and mental health advocacy efforts. This Renaissance woman is a licensed cosmetologist, mental health and fitness vlogger who boasts a quarter of a million YouTube subscribers and over 120,000 Instagram followers, successful entrepreneur, and a very involved mother of one.
Women Fitness is #CelebratingWomen this International Women’s Day, with a new story of an inspirational woman going out every day. Lets check out the next one about the super-talented and hard-working vlogger, Jaz Jackson, who has organically built her way up to half a million followers on YouTube.
You are a fitness vlogger with a quarter of a million YouTube subscribers and over 120,000 Instagram followers. Share with us your journey of becoming a social media sensation.
My career as a vlogger began in 2012. At that time my channel’s focus was beauty related content. I specialized in makeup & hair tutorials. Like many of us at that time I used YouTube as a hobby to showcase my talent. As the years past, my channel and following grew into what it is today.
In 2012, you were clinically diagnosed with depression, but you hid that for years. When did you realize that this is the time to take things under your control and change them for good?
I’d battled with the disease for years. But after a difficult breakup my depression took a turn for the worst. I began to isolate myself from family and friends. I also started to use food as a way to cope with my problems. That behavior eventually was the cause of my weight gain. At my heaviest I was 190 pounds. Seeing my personal life and career slip from my hands was a major wake up call. I wanted better for myself so I began taking the steps to do so.
Introduce us to your life as a Vlogger. What do you do in a typical day?
As a vlogger you tend to live most of your life online. My day starts with responding to emails, messages and then working on the days social content. If I am working on a sponsored project most days are filled with me shooting and editing videos.
Share with us your top 5 tips for becoming a successful vlogger on Youtube.
My top 5 tips on being a successful vlogger are:
- Be consistent. Create a schedule that works for you but stick to it because it builds a solid relationship with your audience.
- Be authentic. No one likes a “talking head”. The beauty of social media is that people are drawn to you based on your personality. Don’t be afraid to let it show.
- Collaborate. Meet other vloggers and create content with them. This will introduce you to a new set of supporters who will ultimately help you platform grow.
- Don’t get caught up in numbers! I know it’s easy to compare yourself to some mega social media stars. But focus on great content instead of how many followers you have and you’ll grow.
- Experiment. New trends are happening everyday for social media content. Don’t be afraid to try new things and switch up your flow a bit on your channel.
This International Women’s Day, what advice would you like to give to the women out there on the topic of mental heath and awareness?
As a woman we carry so much on our shoulders. Many of us are the head of our households so the pressure can be challenging. Never be afraid to step away from your daily responsibilities just to take a breather for yourself. You are at your best when you a physically and mentally strong!
For more such real inspiring stories on this Women’s Day, click here.