A new gastric sleeve plication or gastric imbrications weight losssurgery – a reversible procedure that is differentiated from existing bariatric procedures in that it does not require device implantation nor the removal of stomach tissue.
The Gastric Imbrications is a laparoscopic (keyhole) procedure, which is very simple and yet effective. It is less invasive and shorter than the Sleeve andBypass surgeries, with equally good results. It is a reversible procedure which involves only 3 tiny cuts on the abdomen and the stomach is folded over itself and stitched. The tiny cuts are so small that they don’t require any stitches and the patient walks home the next morning. – The procedure results in reducing the capacity of the stomach to 100-150 ml and as a result the patient gets a feeling satiety with a small meal.
|The size of the stomach is reduced in this method. Stomach capacity is reduced and the patient consumes less quantity of food and loses weight.|
- Like other bariatric operations, the procedure promotes weight loss by reducing stomach capacity to cause early satiety and limit calorie intake. Based on preliminary results, gastric plication surgery for severe obesity appears to be a safe and effective weight loss procedure. Patients have achieved excess weight loss of 60-90% at the end of one year.
- 90-98% patients of Diabetes, Hypertension, hyperlipidemia, Sleep apnoea,knee joint pain got much better quality of life.
- Unlike other bariatric procedures, gastric plication does not involve stapling, cutting or removing stomach tissue or require a medical implant.
- Performed laparoscopically, thus minimum invasion.
- Does not cause malabsorption (like gastric bypass surgery)
- Does not require a medical implant (like gastric banding)
- Does not involve cutting away and removing a portion of the stomach (likesleeve gastrectomy)
- Procedure is easily reversed
- Offers minimal risk and quick recovery
- Currently the lowest cost weight loss procedure available.
Body Mass Index method can be used to know whether a person is obese or not. BMI should be between 18 and 23.5. If BMI is more than 32, then the person is definitely obese. Obesity is the basic cause for many diseases. Diabetes and blood pressure are caused by obesity. Cholesterol is also increased and thereby heart diseases also increase. Sleeplessness also can be observed in obese people. Arthritis in women is also because of obesity. 10% of cancers are caused by obesity. So it is important to control obesity to prevent many diseases. Blood pressure can be controlled and the diabetes and uric acid levels also can be decreased. Fatty liver and joint pains can be prevented. As the cholesterol levels decrease the chances of getting heart diseases also decreases.
Based on preliminary results, gastric plication surgery for severe obesity appears to be a safe and effective weight loss procedure. The only downside at this time appears to be the lack of long-term data. This issue is the focus of several ongoing clinical trials. Interested patients may want to see if they qualify for one of the studies examining this promising new procedure.
Note: Gastric Imbrications, Total Vertical Sleeve Plication, and Laparoscopic Greater Curvature Plication, is being performed by only a few doctors in the United States at this time, including: Dr. Brad Watkins at Cincinnati Weight Loss Center, Daniel Cottam, MD at Surgical Weight Loss Centre of Utah, and Sunil Sharma, MD at the University of Florida.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.