Nutritive InformationPer serving:
- 99 calories,
- 2 g fat (<1 g. saturated fat),
- 129 g carbohydrate,
- 2 g protein,
- 2 g dietary fiber,
- 96 mg sodium.
- 1 Tbsp. canola oil
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- 1 medium orange-flesh sweet potato, peeled and coarsely chopped (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped fresh kale, loosely packed
- 2 cups fat-free, reduced sodium chicken broth
- 3 small tart apples (such as Granny Smith), cored and coarsely chopped (about 2 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup currants or raisins
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In a large skillet, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté for about 5 minutes, until golden. Add the rice and curry powder and sauté for 3 minutes. Stir in the sweet potato and kale and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add the broth and bring the mixture to a boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for about 15 minutes, until the rice and sweet potato are nearly tender and the liquid is almost all absorbed. If the mixture becomes too dry, additional broth can be added.
- Stir in the apples and currants, Simmer about 5 minutes stirring frequently, until the apples are tender and all of the liquid is absorbed. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.