- Calories: 172 Kcal
- Fat: 3 g
- Carbohydrate: 27 g
- Protein: 11 g
- Fiber: 10 g
- Sodium: 393 mg.
- Dried navy beans: 1 cup
- Cold water, enough to cover beans
- Leek: 1 , white part only, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Coarsely chopped onion: 3/4 cup
- Chopped carrot: 1/2 cup , in 3/4-inch pieces
- Celery chopped:1/2 cup , in 3/4-inch pieces
- Flat-leaf parsley leaves: 1/4 cup , loosely packed
- Extra virgin olive oil: 1 Tbsp.
- Reduced-sodium vegetable or chicken broth: 4 cups
- Water: 2 cups
- Finely chopped fresh rosemary: 1 tsp.
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Place beans in deep pot and cover with cold water to 1-inch above beans. Bring water to boil and simmer, uncovered, for 1 minute. Off heat, cover and let beans sit for 1 hour. Drain beans.
- In same pot, cover beans with cold water to 2-inches above beans. Over medium-high heat, bring just to gentle boil. Cover pot partway so it does not boil over, and simmer beans until soft and creamy, 45-60 minutes. Set beans aside in cooking liquid until ready to use. Or, if not using within 4 hours, drain cooled beans and refrigerate, tightly covered, for up to 4 days.
- In food processor, pulse leek, onion, carrot, celery and parsley until finely chopped and moist.
- In medium Dutch oven or small soup pot, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add chopped vegetables and cook, stirring, until they soften, 5 minutes. Cover tightly, reduce heat and gently cook vegetables until they let their juices, 10 minutes. Increase heat and cook vegetables until golden, 8 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add broth, 2 cups water and rosemary. Simmer, covered, until vegetables are very soft, 20 minutes. Off heat, use immersion blender to whirl soup until partly pureed, with some vegetables bits remaining.
- Add 2 cups drained cooked beans to soup. Return pot to heat and cook until beans are heated through. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. Divide soup among 6 deep soup bowls. If desired garnish with Fried Leek. Or pass grated Parmesan cheese on the side.