Nutritive InformationPer Serving
- 40 calories
- 3 g total fat
- 0 g saturated fat
- 294 mg sodium
- 4 g carbohydrate
- 1 g dietary fiber
- 120 mg sodium
- 1-pound eggplant, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces yellow summer squash, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 12 ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 garlic cloves, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional; to taste)
- Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 450 degrees F. Toss eggplant, squash, bell peppers, tomatoes, onion, garlic, oil, salt, fresh ground pepper together on heavy rimmed baking sheet and spread into an even layer. Roast until vegetable are slightly softened and roasted, about 30 minutes, stirring halfway through roasting.
- Remove sheet from oven and let rest until cool enough to handle. Transfer vegetables and pan juices into food processor. Add minced basil, lemon juice and cayenne pepper (if using). Blend until smooth.
- Serve with whole grain tortilla chips, pretzels or as a non-dairy topping for whole-wheat bagels or sandwiches.