Calories: 214 Kcal
Fat: 7 g
Carbohydrate: 40 g
Protein: 1 g
Fiber: 3 g
Sodium: 105 mg.
- Apples: 3½ lbs, peeled, quartered and cored.
- Unsalted sweet butter: 1 Tbsp.
- Brown sugar (packed): 2-4 Tbsp.
- Ground cinnamon: 1 tsp.
- Ground ginger: 1/8 tsp.
- Pinches of ground cloves and grated nutmeg
- Prepared crust for a 9-inch pie: 1 (about 10½-inches), preferably whole-wheat
- Milk: 1 Tbsp.
- Natural cane sugar: 2 tsp.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat 13-inch x 9-inch x 2-inch heatproof glass baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Cut apples into slices, varying from 1/8-inch to 1/2-inch. In large skillet, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add sliced apples, stirring to coat them with butter. Cook until apples look shiny and wet and thin slices are flexible, about 6 minutes, stirring them well 4 or 5 times. Off heat, add brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and nutmeg and mix well to combine with hot apples. Spread apples in an even layer in prepared baking dish and set aside.
- Following package directions, unroll piecrust on your work surface. Using sharp knife, cut away enough on four sides to create a 9-inch square with rounded corners. Cut the crust crosswise into 3 even strips. Cut each strip vertically into thirds, making 9 squares. Keep 8 pieces, discarding a rounded corner piece. One at a time, lightly run rolling pin over each square in one direction, making 4-inch by 3 1/2-inch rectangles and squaring rounded corner of 3 squares. Re-trim squares to neaten those that remain uneven in one corner; they do not need to be perfect. Line up crust pieces in 2 rows of 4 on top of apples in baking dish, leaving a bit of space between pieces. Brush tip of each rectangle with milk just to lightly moisten. Sprinkle sugar evenly over pieces of crust.
- Bake pie for 30-35 minutes, or until crusts are deep golden brown and apples are tender but still hold their shape. Cool to lukewarm or room temperature before serving. For crisp crust, this pie is best served the day it is baked.