Nutritive InformationPer portion:
Calories: 180 Kcal
Fat: 6 g
Carbohydrate: 27 g
Protein: 5 g
Fiber: 4 g
- 8 oz. whole-wheat fusilli, farfalle or other small pasta shape, cooked according to directions
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar (red or white)
- 4 Tbsp. finely chopped fresh basil, divided
- 1 tsp. turbinado sugar, optional
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper (or to taste)
- 3 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced and divided
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 4 plum or Roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 slice whole-wheat bread (multigrain may be substituted)
- In bowl, cover and chill pasta.
- In large mixing bowl, combine vinegar, 2 tablespoons basil, sugar, salt, pepper, red pepper, 2 tablespoons oil and half of minced garlic. Whisk to combine well. Add pasta, bell pepper and tomatoes and toss gently until well coated.
- In food processor or blender, place bread and pulse a few times to produce coarse crumbs.
- In a medium skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Stir in breadcrumbs and garlic. Sauté about 1½ - 2 minutes until browned and crisp. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Top pasta with garlic crumbs and remaining basil. Serve.