Women Fitness Brings to you Delicious Top 5 Vegetarian Salads that are super nutritious and healthy. (And are bound to leave you craving for more!)
So pick up the pace and get into the kitchen to make these tasty salads.
1. Spring Pasta Salad
- 1 lb whole-wheat shells
- 1 bunch (about 1 lb.) asparagus
- 1 cup shelled fava beans (about 2 lbs unshelled beans)*
- 2 tbsp + 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/4 cup sliced red onion
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 3 tbsp fresh lemon juice plus 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1 oz arugula (about 1.5 cups)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 tbsp sliced fresh ricotta salata
- 2 tbsp fresh dill
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Serves: 12 servings.
- Bring large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta; cook until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; set aside.
- Bring medium pot of water to a boil. Blanch asparagus by immersing it in the boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes. Add shelled fava beans and boil for an additional 1 minute.
- Drain and plunge the beans and asparagus into ice water to stop the cooking. Remove tough outer skins from beans by pinching the outer skin between your thumb and forefinger. Discard skins. Slice asparagus into 1-inch pieces. In large skillet heat 2 teaspoons oil over medium heat. Add red onion. Cook, stirring occasionally for about 4 minutes. Add wine; bring mixture to a boil. Cook until liquid is reduced by half.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice, fava beans, asparagus, pasta shells, and 1 cup reserved pasta liquid and toss. Add arugula and tomatoes; toss. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoons oil. Mix in lemon zest, ricotta, dill, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate and serve cooled. Keeps for 3-5 days.
*frozen fava beans can be substituted
- 192 calories
- 4 g total fat
- 34 g carbohydrate
- 8 g protein
- 4 g dietary fiber
- 110 mg sodium.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.