3. Warm Kale Salad
- 4 fresh medium golden or red beets, trimmed, peeled, cut in bite-sized pieces*
- 1/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp. canola oil, divided
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup red quinoa, rinsed and drained
- 1 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable or chicken broth, divided, plus 1-3 Tbsp. if needed
- 2 large garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 4 cups chopped fresh kale (about 5 oz., preferably green curly kale, ribs removed, packed medium)
Serves: 4 Serving.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place beets in baking dish and drizzle with vinegar and 1 tablespoon oil. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Cover dish with foil. Cook 30 minutes. Remove foil and flip beets. Leave uncovered and roast until tender, about 15-20 minutes. Set aside. (If using canned beets, only roast 15 minutes.)
- In small saucepan combine quinoa and 1 cup broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover and cook until most of liquid has evaporated, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In large saucepan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Sauté garlic and paprika until garlic just begins to turn golden yellow and is fragrant, about 30 seconds (don’t let garlic burn). Add ¼ cup broth and kale and sauté until tender-crisp, about 10 minutes. Add broth in 1 tablespoon increments to keep kale moist, if needed. Add quinoa and stir to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer warm kale-quinoa salad to serving platter or plates. Arrange beets on top. Drizzle with cooking liquid from roasted beets and serve.
- * Canned whole beets (1-15 oz. can), cut in bite-sized pieces, may be used.
Nutritive Information :
- 206 calories
- 9 g total fat(<1 g saturated fat)
- 28 g carbohydrate
- 6 g protein
- 4 g dietary fiber
- 113 mg sodium.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.