Cherries are one of our most favourite superfoods! There are so many fun and creative ways to incorporate them into healthy recipes and feast on these deep red beauties.
1. Cherry Frangipane Tart
By Chef Iso
Makes 1 8″ Tart
SABLÉ BRETON CRUST
- 250 grams flour (8.8 ounces, 1 3/4 cup)
- 140 grams butter (4.9 ounces, 1 1/4 stick)
- 100 grams sugar (3.5 ounces, 1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 40 grams almond flour (1/4 cup)
- 50 grams sugar (1/4 cup)
- 40 grams butter (2 tablespoons)
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
NEUTRAL NAPPAGE (OPTIONAL GLAZE)
- 225 grams water (7.9 ounces, 1 cup)
- 113 grams sugar (4.0 ounces, 1/2 cup)
- 13 grams pectin (0.5 ounces)
- 20 grams lemon juice (0.7 ounces)
- 1 pound of sweet cherries (0.45 kg)
- handful of chopped pistachios
Prepare the Sablé Breton crust
- Cream the butter and sugar together until the butter is whipped and the sugar is fully incorporated.
- Beat in the egg, then the flour and salt until the dough comes together
- Knead the dough until it comes together before rolling it out.
- Roll out the dough between two pieces of parchment and silicone mats to 1/4-inch
- The silicone mats are optional, but will help make the dough more even and prevent it from cracking.
- Use the tart ring to cut out the tart base, roll out the excess and cut strips to make the sides
- Bake the tart at 375°F (190°C) until the edges are golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- When the tart cools, use a microplane to shave off the top and even out the tart
Prepare the Frangipane
- While the tart crust is baking, you can prepare the frangipane filling.
- Cream the butter and sugar together until the butter is whipped and the sugar is fully incorporated
- Vigorously beat in the egg until there are no more lumps. Beat in the almond flour, flour, and vanilla until everything comes together.
- When the tart shell is cool, fill it with the frangipane and a few chopped cherries
- Bake the tart with the frangipane at 350°F (180°C) for 18 minutes until the frangipane is set but still jiggles in the middle.
Prepare the cherries
- Slice the cherries across their longer side
- Also slice the round side off so they lie flat on the tart.
- Dip a whole cherry in the nappage glaze and roll around in the chopped pistachios until it is coated.
Assemble the tart
- Arrange the cherries on top of the tart in concentric rings and dab the glaze on top
- Finish with the pistachio cherry on top.
2. Chocolate Cherry Cheesecake
By Carolyn Ketchum
Makes 12 Servings
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 tbsp Swerve Sweetener
- 2 tbsp butter
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s Swerve Sweetener
- 1 large egg
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 3/4 tsp cherry extract
- 1 tiny drop red gel food coloring (optional)
- 2 1/2 tbsp butter
- 1 oz good quality unsweetened chocolate
- 2 tbsp confectioner’s Swerve Sweetener
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
For the Crust
- Preheat oven to 325F and line a standard muffin pan with 12 cupcake liners (parchment paper liners are ideal).
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, cocoa powder and Swerve. Add melted butter and mix until it resembles crumbs.
- Divide crust mixture evenly into bottoms of cupcake liners and press down firmly with fingers.
- Bake 8 minutes. Remove and let cool.
For the Cheesecake
- Reduce oven temperature to 275F.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and confectioner’s Swerve until smooth. Beat in egg, whipping cream, cherry extract and food coloring, if using. Beat until smooth.
- Divide mixture evenly over cooled crusts and bake 25 minutes or until just firm to the touch. Remove and let cool.
For the Chocolate Ganache
- In a small saucepan over low heat, melt butter and unsweetened chocolate until smooth. Stir in confectioner’s Swerve and vanilla extract. Let cool 5 to 10 minutes, until thickened but still pourable.
- Drizzle over cooled cheesecakes.
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.