9. Free Cake with Antioxidant Compote
By Pastry Chef Jacqueline Mearman, Atlas Restaurant Group
Makes 8-10 Servings
- 3 cup brown rice flour
- 1⁄4 cup + 2 Tablespoons cocoa powder 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cup coconut sugar
- 1⁄4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1⁄2 cup avocado, very ripe
- 2 c water
- 2 Tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1⁄2 Tablespoon vanilla
- 12 ounces frozen cherries
- 1 pint blackberries
- 1 pint blueberries
- 8 ounce pomegranate juice
- 2 ounce orange juice, fresh squeezed 1 each zest of orange
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 can Coconut Cream
- For the cake… combine all dry ingredients in a bowl large enough to accommodate the entire recipe. Use either a traditional blender or a stick blender to emulsify the liquid ingredients and avocado. This mixture will become creamy and thick. Pure liquid ingredients into dry and fold until combined. Portion into sprayed individual ramekins, large cupcake pans or my favorite, cast-iron Staubs. Bake at 325 degrees fahrenheit until cake springs back about 15-20 minutes.
- For the compote… combine all ingredients in a pot and cook until fresh berries break down and pomegranate and orange juice reduces to a glaze, about fifteen minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool and thicken.
- For whipped cream… Refrigerate can of coconut cream overnight. Remove solids from can into a mixer bowl. Discard of any liquid in bottom of can. Whip solids on high speed until thick and fluffy.
- To serve… Spoon compote over warm free cake. Dollop coconut whipped cream on top. Optionally, garnish with freeze-dried super fruits and shaved chocolate or carob. For my chocolate, I went the distance and finished with a rich, single-origin, fair-trade Felchlin 74% Elvesia dark chocolate. But hey, I’m a pastry chef.
10. Cherry Sauce
By The Perfect Purée of Napa Valley
Makes 1 Cup
- 8 oz. The Perfect Purée Cherry, thawed
- 1 tsp. The Perfect Purée Lemon Zest, thawed
- 5 tbsp. granulated sugar
- 1/2 oz. fresh lemon juice
- 1 oz. liqueur (such as Kirsch, Grand Marnier, Creme de Cassis, or Framboise), optional
- In a bowl stir together Cherry puree, sugar, lemon juice, and Lemon Zest until well blended.
- Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. Just before serving, stir in liqueur if desired.