Pulled Chicken Tacos with Papaya Slaw
- 1 tablespoon whole grain oat flour
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Pinch freshly ground black pepper.
- 1 pound trimmed, boneless, skinless chicken breasts (preferably free range), cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup orange juice (not from concentrate)
- 2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons all natural applewood flavored liquid smoke
- 8 tacos sized (6 inches in diameter) corn tortillas (preferably made with only corn, lime, and salt)
- 2 2/3 cups Sweet Papaya Slaw (see below), divided
- 4 teaspoons sriracha (preferably natural), divided.
- 1 handful fresh cilantro leaves, or to taste.
*If you have the Sweet Papaya Slaw prepared.
- In a medium resealable plastic bag, combine the flour, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Add the chicken and shake the bag until the chicken is coated. Refrigerate the chicken for at least 15 minutes.
- Preheat a medium nonstick soup pot over medium high heat. When it’s hot, add the oil, then the chicken. Brown the chicken, about 1 minute per side, then turn the heat to medium and add the orange juice, vinegar, and liquid smoke.
- When the liquid comes to a boil, reduce the heat to low (the liquid should still be boiling slightly). Cover and simmer the chicken, stirring occasionally, for 30–40 minutes or until it’s very tender (the liquid will absorb into the meat and the pieces should be so tender they fall apart when smashed with a fork).
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chicken (along with a bit of the liquid) to a medium mixing bowl. Using your fingers, 2 forks, or a pastry blender, separate the chicken pieces until the chicken is shredded.
- During the last 15 minutes of cooking, stack the tortillas and wrap the stack in foil so it’s completely covered. Heat them in a preheated 350° degree oven until just warmed.
- Place the tortillas side by side on a serving platter or place 2 tortillas side by side on each of 4 plates. Divide the meat evenly among the tortillas, laying it in a strip across the center one third of each tortilla. Top the chicken on each tortilla with 1/3 cup slaw. Drizzle 1/2 teaspoon sriracha (or up to 1 teaspoon, if desired) over the top of each. Then top each evenly with cilantro leaves. Fold the tacos and enjoy immediately.
Can’t find whole grain oat flour? Don’t worry. You can make your own by adding old fashioned oats to a food processor. Run it for a couple of minutes on high until the oats are as fine as flour! Need more helpful chef secrets and hacks? Visit me at www.devinalexander.com/diabetes where I’ll share my secrets and give you the 411 on the specific brands I’m currently using.
When you buy corn tortillas, try to find some that have only corn, lime, and salt on the ingredient list—and make sure they don’t have a lot of salt. Many brands have tons of chemicals and additives, and they don’t even taste better!
Make sure you compare brands when you buy your sriracha. There are natural varieties that are exceptionally low in salt and have virtually no sugar. But that is not the case with every product! If you like spicy foods, you can use up to 8 teaspoons of sriracha in this dish to add even more kick.
- Serving Size: 2 tacos
- Prep Time: 15 minutes*
- Cook Time: 1–1 1/2 hours
2 starch, 1 non-starchy vegetable, 3 lean protein
320 calories, 7 g fat, 1 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 70 mg cholesterol, 500 mg sodium, 600 mg potassium, 34 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 9 g sugars, 30 g protein, 255 mg phosphorus
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.