Sweet Papaya Slaw
Devin recommends buying pre shredded green cabbage from the grocery store if you can find it. If not, make sure you shred it finely yourself. It makes for a much nicer slaw, especially given the other components in this recipe.
Peak season for papayas is early summer and fall, so I try to make this slaw often during those times.
- 1/4 cup plain fat free yogurt or quark
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1/3 cup 100% orange juice (not from concentrate; preferably freshly squeezed)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon zero calorie natural sweetener
- 7 cups finely shredded green cabbage (about 10 ounces)
- 1 cup (1/4-inch cubes) fresh, ripe papaya cubes
- 1/2 cup slivered red onion.
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste.
- In a large resealable plastic container, whisk together the yogurt, mayonnaise, orange juice, vinegar, and sweetener. Add the cabbage, papaya, and onion and stir until well combined.
- Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy immediately or cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- Serving Size: About 3/4 cup
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: None
1/2 fruit, 1 nonstarchy vegetable, 1/2 fat
70 calories, 2.5 g fat, 0 g saturated fat, 0 g trans fat, 5 mg cholesterol, 210 mg sodium, 290 mg potassium, 14 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g sugars, 2 g protein, 35 mg phosphorus
The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.